A little update.
I’ve started to get to grips with the restoration including degreasing / cleaning the frame and taking the forks apart to remove the debris inside the blades.
The frame will need a bit of work to remove the oxidisation. I don’t want to go to town with the abrasives so I’ll progress slowly and see how it goes. It almost appears to have a coating, but i'm not sure
The Syncros forks were a bit of a nightmare as one of the bolts was a bugger to shift. The crown is in good order and should clean up nicely. The fork blades need new paint and decals with framesave protection to the internals. The plastic top caps on the blades were also difficult to remove, but I managed to do this reasonably carefully with the only damage / loss being one of the plastic tabs, which have become brittle over the years. Thankfully it still re-fits nice and snug. The forks are not quite as good as I first thought.
The Cattleprod stem which came with the bike is only good for scrap, note the crack in the handlebar mount. This is a key part of the jigsaw along with a 27.0 Syncros seat post that I’m missing so if anyone can help please get in touch.
The XT chainset, cantilevers and derailleurs are all going for a long soak.
I should also start to source the decals.
Finally, thank you all for the help to date.