1991 Rocky Mountain Cirrus **New project** Update 10.10.2011

Mossy

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Having finished the Orange P7 I’ve been looking for a new project, so I was surprised when a 17" (medium) Rocky Mountain Cirrus came up on ebay. I sold a few bits, gathered a war chest and had a punt on this little animal which came up trumps. :cool:

I think it's a 1991 Cirrus, but could be 1992? Definitely not a 1990 as the eyelet locations are slightly different on the wishbone stay and tube diameters are beefier on the '91 and '92. If anyone could advise on the frame number that would be great.

It’s been well used, but not totally abused and like my ’91 Zaskar it looks bomb proof. It came with a few period bits including M730 cranks, cantis, headset and mechs which are all good. The crowning glory is the Syncros Powerlite forks that are in superb condition. Unfortunately the previous owner tried to fit an oversized bar in the standard stem – it’s now scrap as it’s all cracked on the weld joints forming the bar clamp, never mind it may come in handy for spares.

Trying to go period correct on this rather than mixing modern and old as with my P7. The toughie will be sourcing the wheels without braking the bank.

I will start by removing those awful decals and then cleaning followed by a gentle polish to see how the frame reacts.

I've just read RockiMtn thread on his '92 Cirrus very interesting and what a super example. No doubt I'll be in contact to ask a few questions ;) for example the catalogue states that the seat tube is 30.4 – it’s a lot smaller as it won't even take a 29.8. :?

Some pics to get us started. :D

P1030914_zps2a41d454.jpg

P1030919_zps20a1a54b.jpg

I have a Cirrus project in similar shape that I need to get started - I'll run my project alongside yours if you don't mind?

mrkawasaki":2x5n8llq said:
I have a Cirrus project in similar shape that I need to get started - I'll run my project alongside yours if you don't mind?

It took 2 years-ish to get my P7 finished and it's modern. We might both have grey hair by the time this one completes.

very nice project
I am about to start a 92 Blizzard build as soon as it gets back from the powdercoaters :roll:
I now have most of the bits I need short of BB and FM and I agree the wheel build is crucial I have some xtr hubs which I intend to build up with double butted stainless spokes but need some period black rims still campag mavic or araya will do the trick but I am still hunting....
looking forward to watching yours and Mr K`s build threads :D

Looks great! Gotta ask if you are going to put the "SYNCROS" sticker back on the powerlite fork? If you are, I gotta redo mine!

Also how rare is it to have rack mount bolts on the Powerlite fork?

NICE! :cool: been busy as of late so not been spending much time on RB, so missed this when first posted.

there have been several Cirrus posted here but i've YET to see another completed specimen. shame on those owners! you KNOW who you are! :LOL:

anyway, here's a 91 that i've acquired to compliment my more modern 92 build you speak of! ;) almost completely stock build with XT and Syncros. only thing missing is the original saddle. :(

feel free to touch base with me as needed with your build. i'll compare serials later today when i get home. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0950.JPG
    IMG_0950.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 5,488
Chickenball":1141dfb9 said:
Looks great! Gotta ask if you are going to put the "SYNCROS" sticker back on the powerlite fork? If you are, I gotta redo mine!

Also how rare is it to have rack mount bolts on the Powerlite fork?

I would say rare. but then again, i own a set of legs with the rack mount holes. :roll:

Back