Latest impulse purchase - '91 Scott Boulder

muppetman

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
And so the addiction continues - only been on here for a few months and have picked up Project number 4 - a '91 Scott Boulder off the bay (really need to finish project 2 and 3 first!) :oops:

I put in an opening bid (30 quid) and no-one bid against me - so am off after work to pick it up tonight as it's only about 20 mins away. TBH, don't much about Scotts in general as never actualy ridden one bitd (or knew any mates who had them) - just weren't as popular as the Konas, Marins or Raleighs I grew up with.

From the cat spec, she should be wearing a Deore LX group, so I guess I'll see how much of a restoration project it is - hopefuly for a quick turnaround as I want to use it whilst the 'Dale is off the road while I'm rebuilding the headset - lots of grinding but been putting it off as I've no other complete bikes to ride. eBay Pic is below - will add more pics once I get her home and the work commences...

Also, while I'm on - big thanks to member "skolioza" on here - without your site, I'd never have worked out it was a '91 :D

Attachments

• Boulder.jpg
    Boulder.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 3,274
Hi muppetman,

i did a Scott Superlite build not long ago. And what i learned is that Scott bikes a highly underrated when i comes down to the fun factor.
Too heavy - yes. Inexistent paint quality - check. The smile on my face when i rode it - priceless.
Your Boulder seems to be in good shape. Just a bit of elbow grease and you have a bad boy waiting to master every mountain.

Cheers,

Adam

that looks a nice buy there
bit big tho,looks a 23"

i have a couple of elevated scotts the steel ones a blast to ride really
really nice bike , the alloy ones no bad either

mikee":2ztsfxos said:
that looks a nice buy there
bit big tho,looks a 23"

i have a couple of elevated scotts the steel ones a blast to ride really
really nice bike , the alloy ones no bad either

Yeah, it's def a big one - seller claims it's a 23", but strangely the brochure only lists 21" as being the biggest size - either way will be OK for me - I'm 6'4 with an incredibly long inside leg and this will be my "road" bike.

well, 91 Boulders didn't have superlight frames...
Almost 2600 grams in size 19,5"
1.jpg

Later (fex93) was much better - about 2300grams
Well, I'm still looking for frame in painting as Yours in my size and in perfect condition Someday I'll find it :)

Got it home last night and unfortunately not as good as it looks in the eBay photos. It's been stored outside for a LONG time (given the rust and spiderwebs all over it - even the polished Zoom seatpost has big patches of rust on it!) but the frame is in pretty good nick, though - couple of rust spots where the paint has blistered but other than that mainly scratched decals.

Seatpost was stuck (which was disappointing as it's the reason why my MF build has stalled - not quite sure what to do about it now as don't want to ruin the paint!) but plenty of dismantling spray and 30 mins of walloping the seat with a mallet later, there is some movement. Gave up last night but given it's now turning slightly, shouldn't be long now. Hopefully the bottom bracket is as easy, as that's completely screwed as well!

Gonna do a parts bin raid to build this up cheaply whilst I take the 'Dale to bits and rebuild it. Think I've just about got everything I need except chain, cassette and headset (I think it's a 1"?) - so should be a cheap build overall.

Scott

Looks an interesting build.

Best way i've found to remove stuck seatposts is if you can get access to a vice on a solid work bench, remove the seat and grip the post in the vice with the frame upside down and the wheels off, then you have a lot more leverage using the frame, twisting it from side to side, also less likely to damage the seat tube that way too!!!

Hope you manage to get it released!!!!

Greig.

skolioza":358s4guv said:
muppetman":358s4guv said:
headset (I think it's a 1"?)
1 1/8"

Thanks, Skolioza - you are the font of knowledge for all things Scott!

Update: The build is starting to progress - I've now FINALLY(!) removed the seatpost and half of the bottom bracket, so (hopefully!) I should be able to get the rest finished this weekend.

As mentioned by a previous poster, the paint quality isn't great - I took the U-Lock braket off and the yellow was a completely different colour underneath!

Back