Two Stumpjumpers, 1994 and 198? in the USA

flipwils11

Devout Dirtbag
Feedback
View
Hi, found this forum through some google searches about Stumpjumpers. Really a great community with some impressive knowledge and builds so I thought I'd join up. I've been rather inspired lately to find another older Stumpjumper to ride everyday for trips in the neighborhood with my kids rather than my '94 which has been modified... aggressively. So with today's new purchase, I thought it was time to post and introduce myself.

First up my 1994 Stumpjumper FS. Started life with the grey Umma Gumma tires and Specialized Future Shock, and if I remember correctly, all LX components. I am the original owner and have the receipt from buying it my first summer out of college. It was a leftover '94 as i would have bought it summer 1995 so I got a deal on it which was the only way I could afford it. I had a Hard Rock back in the day but I remember drooling over the Stumpjumper in the Specialized catalog so it was (for me at the time) like buying a Ferrari of bikes. As I started to ride more and more, I went hellbent down the upgrade path and sadly in my youth and naivety, didn't save any of the old components.

From memory, here's the rundown of what the bike has:
Converted to full XT
Machine Tech cantilever "zero-flex" brakes (bought from a friend's Gary Fisher Procaliber Limited)
Titanium Ritchey pedals
Raceface cranks
Judy XC fork (rebuilt by Hippy Tech Suspension recently)
WTB titanium railed seat (recent change)
Cane Creek sealed headset (recent change)
Sun CR-17A wheels with TCC coating on brake surfaces, titanium spokes, and Ringle Super Duper hubs
Quick releases deleted from seat post and wheels

As you can see I ended up pursuing a green/blue theme. Not perfect execution but it is ok. The bike got a lot of stares when I had the local shop do the Cane Creek headset.

Bike #2 I just got today at a garage sale for $40. Needs new tires as the front seems original and is dry rotted and the rear is...... questionable. Otherwise is in average condition. What do I have though, and what year is it? From the funky bottom bracket mounted brake and looking at other bikes on this site, it might be from the mid 1980's?

Attachments

• DSC04342.JPG
    DSC04342.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,168
  • DSC04343.JPG
    DSC04343.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 1,168
  • DSC04344.JPG
    DSC04344.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 1,168
  • DSC04350.JPG
    DSC04350.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,168
nice.....welcome to rb, stay and enjoy the view a while!.......enjoy the stumpies, they are great bikes.....

I would like to convert my 1994 green frame Stumpjumper to XTR, m900, but it looks like that requires going 8speed. How do I know if my rear hub and frame can handle 8spd?

Frame probably can but hub cannot in its current state;
You will need to change freehub to the one that can take 8/9/10 speed cassettes and re-dish your wheel. There is possibility you will have to change your hubs axel.

BTW. great bikes! Very nice find with that blue one…

Back