1996 Merlin XLM

shanghai

Dirt Disciple
Guys, here is the XLM that I finally started to build after getting the frame two years ago. I just realised I'm short of a good number of parts, but here it is anyway.

Comments on how to improve it are appreciated.

I'm also looking for a nice 1 1/8" threadless rigid fork, something like an One Off Ti, Ritchey Logic, or whatever you recommend, and a straight bar to replace the Zoom.

merlin-xlm1.jpg

merlin-xlm2.jpg

Frame: 1996 Merlin XLM 1 1/8" threadless
Fork: Manitou 3
Stem: Nitto CT-80
Bar: Zoom 150
Headset: Chris King Ti
Shifter/brake leves: XTR M950
Brakes: Avid Ultimate
Seatpost: Nitto Jaguar
Saddle: Brooks Pro
Derailleurs: XTR M900
Cranks: TA Zephyr triple
Casette: XTR M950
BB: Phil Wood
Rims: Mavic 217
Hubs: Hugi
Tyres: Ritchey Force 2.0

Lovely bike!

Is it wearing socks? :?

Not sure about the saddle. something lighter looking might suit it better.
A nice set of ti bars would be good. The shim type are pretty cool IMHO.

Looking good so far.

IMHO: I'd also lose the Brewks (unless it's a saddle you particularly like) and I'd put cantis on it if the frame's got a hanger - looks like it has?

Thanks, mate!

It is too troublesome to keep putting on socks when I ride, so I figured putting the socks on the bike was easier! :D

Actually, the socks are to prevent the huge Shimano DX646 pedals from scratching my other frames while this fellow is still under construction. It'll come off when I find some decent pedals.

I'm thinking a dark brown or even dark blue Brooks Swift or something around that profile. Any thoughts on this?

Also looking for that straight bar. I was thinking of a straight Nitto aluminium bar. A Ti bar would be lovely, but do they creak?

bryan555":3hwoellx said:
Lovely bike!

Is it wearing socks? :?

Not sure about the saddle. something lighter looking might suit it better.
A nice set of ti bars would be good. The shim type are pretty cool IMHO.

I've actually got a set of M900 cantis standing by, but it'd mean I'd have to change out the shifter/brake levers.

In which case I might go for Ritchey Logic brake levers and separate 8-speed pods or even thumbies, as I don't like the look of the M900 shifter-lever combo. What say you?

You're right - the Brooks is going to go, but I need something to sit on for now!

beagle":18nw4ywy said:
Looking good so far.

IMHO: I'd also lose the Brewks (unless it's a saddle you particularly like) and I'd put cantis on it if the frame's got a hanger - looks like it has?

not much to improve on that, it looks beautiful!

answer hyperlite alloy bar are my personal fave of the old bars, and what i run on my zas now.

keep the manitou forks on it, they look beautiful.

maybe run XTR v brakes seing as you have the levers. they would look beautiful on that frame.

lose the pedals and the socks! looks clunky on the bike compared to the rest of the parts.

oh and straighten out those bar-ends! :LOL:

I think canti's and a flite would make that bike even better. But the great thing of a Merlin is that a lot of stuff looks great on that frame.

Certainly tend to like the Nitto parts and also the Brooks. Not a fan of the brakes however.

The pedal warmers are the best ;)

Back