Diamond Back Topanga 1990 Finished 22/6

weeman_mtb

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I sort of accidentally won this on ebay last week :? . http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT

I was browsing the ending soonest and found it with no bids and only about 5 minutes to go. I couldn't resist and stuck a fiver on it then closed the page down. Checked "my ebay" a few minutes later and saw I'd won the thing for 99p!

Picked it up a few days ago and here's the first photo of my 99p bike (I gave the chap a fiver as that's what I bid).

I think it's a '91 but happy to be corrected and apart from the STX rear mech I'm guessing it might be pretty original. I'm currently giving the bike a good going over, strip and regrease from end to end. So far I'm amazed how mint this bike is for 20 years old, particularly the paintwork which is lovely.

Will do some updates when I've got it looking a bit more respectable.

Attachments

• Topanga Raw.JPG
    Topanga Raw.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 2,476
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks guys :D .

The saddle, reflectors and collection of brackets for various lights and accessories were first to go. To be fair the saddle was comfy as hell but a pig in the looks department.

You sneaky, sneaky man. :eek:. I remember wanting this model back when I was 13/14 in the early 90s. Good score, and indeed great paint job.

my first "proper" bike was one of these in black
very nice ,top e-baying too

get on with it then :LOL:

I'll check my 91 brochure tonight, but 91 models that I've either got (91 Apex and 91 Axis) or encountered (91 Ascent and Ascent EX) had fork blades that didn't taper as they neared the dropouts (just chunky tubing that remained chunky tubing).

The pic of yours at least looks to have fork blades that taper, which is indicative of DBs from 90. But whether that was the same for all bikes in the line-up I'm not sure - as I said, will check the brochure later.

That's just semantics, though, bargain-tastic for the money you paid.

Great buy.

I like those massive Avocet saddles. Not that I'd want one on my bike.

good score. do you have any plans for it? do you know what rear mech should be on it?

wow, what a score! clean her up, put a nice original black flit on it and a vintage derailluer, and it will be good as done! i had a DB of this era when i was a kid. its the best years for theor paintjobs and graphics i think. they were really identifiable, and staryed to get plain jane after this era..

Back