EarlofBarnet

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Just picked up this Clockwork yesterday to do a bit of a restoration on:

44cf8736.jpg

e3fb4966.jpg

Frame and fork are in good condition with no sign of rust, but a good few scratches. However the cable stop for the front mech is missing, so I'm looking in to options of being able to run a front mech on it. Think I'll end up getting a new stop welded/brazed to it as it'll be the neatest option. This will mean having to re-paint the frame. I was originally thinking of keeping the original colour, but thoughts of going Silver or British Racing Green are taking over.

Component wise, the single speed has now gone. Afraid I won't be going period correct with the gears, but will try and get the correct seatpost, handlebars and bits so it's got a hint of its past. Brake wise I haven't yet decided whether to go with V-Brakes or Canti's.

The bike will serve as an all-rounder, being used to go to and from work on as well as occasional off-road duties.

I'm sure I've seen a BRG Clockwork before, maybe a later model. Will have to do some searching for some pics. I've just bought a few amp purple bits which may clash with the BRG, which would push me back towards silver. Will have to see, need the cable stop sorted first.

EarlofBarnet":8o55nmsu said:
I'm sure I've seen a BRG Clockwork before, maybe a later model. Will have to do some searching for some pics. I've just bought a few amp purple bits which may clash with the BRG, which would push me back towards silver. Will have to see, need the cable stop sorted first.

Orange definitely did a British racing green clockwork, my friend had one bitd although he bought a 21 or 22" frame and it was like a gate. :D Can't beat a bit of steel though.

Earl you seem to have a new bike every week!! Did I see this one on the for sale thread on RB?

Personally I like the original color, do you think it needs a respray?

I have been through a few bikes recently! The opportunity just seems to keep coming up to sell what I have and buy something slightly better. I'll be sticking with my '10 Stumpy and we'll see what happens with the Orange.

The paint is a little tatty on the Clockwork. I think when the cable stop is fitted the heat will distort the surrounding paintwork. It'd be difficult to touch this up so I might as well take the opportunity to repaint it.

Yup, this was the one for sale on here recently. Got it for £120 and have sold the SS kit off it so it should be a nice cheap little project. Should... :)

I would get a quill stem as assume that is aheadset adjuster and a 1 to 1/8 one as well?

That stem looks a bit ugly if i'm honest in relation to the nice skinny frame.

The forks are aheadset (and 1") and then there's a converter been used to shim an 1 1/8" stem on to it. Think I'll have to stick with the aheadset, but don't worry, stem, bars, seatpost, saddle etc etc are all going :)

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. I have a black one which i am thinking of converting to a single speed.

I can't remember a Clocky in BRG, but I think the later C16R was done in that colour. Sure someone around here could confirm it for you :)

Back