Once back at base camp, I tried the usual methods to free off the seat pin; soaking in WD40, mounting the seat pin in a vice and moving the frame from side to side, heat from a blow lamp...None worked.
The following day I tried cutting down the seat pin with a hacksaw blade, but I could tell this was going to take a while or three. What was needed was some form of power tool, so I hunted round my workshop looking for inspiration.
Having failed to be inspired, in desperation I mounted a 25mm Starrett Hole Saw cutter on a heavy duty 750w power drill, aimed it at the offending seat pin and hit the go button. I had to stop periodically to let the drill cool down, but 30 minutes later it had gone down about 6" and we had pin movement!
Luckily for me, the aluminium seat pin was soft and the steel frame hard, so the tool was pretty much self-guiding. I don't think this would have worked on an aluminium frame!
My next pressing issue was removing a knackered bottom bracket.Once again I tried the usual methods; a long extension on the
socket, mounting the tool in a vice and rocking the frame back and forth, heat from a blow lamp, WD40, etc.
Nothing was giving and as work and other leisure interests kicked in, it languished for the winter.
Page edited to show new image location