Marin Muirwoods 1991

PurleySquire

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Having been a bargain basement "el cheapo" rider in the past; until converted by the experience of riding a Marin East Peak, I was curious to know if the earlier Marins are as good as people have said. I bought this Marin Muirwoods in the summer of 2010 on eBay, I think for just £10.
The package comprised the frame, stem, handlebars and a few other miscellaneous parts. All of which, I hope, will work with some nice retro components I have in stock to complement the build later on.

I was particularily looking for a larger frame to suit my 6' stature, of which there were few available at the time. The bike would replace an 18" framed bike, which I felt was a little too compact, you can extend the seat pin, you can't do as much about reach.

The vendor explained that it was a project only; with a siezed seat pin. Having sorted this issue before I felt confident that I could do it again. The parts were loaded in the boot of the car and I was off.

marin_muirwoods15_smaller.jpg

Page edited to show new image location

Back at Base Camp

Once back at base camp, I tried the usual methods to free off the seat pin; soaking in WD40, mounting the seat pin in a vice and moving the frame from side to side, heat from a blow lamp...None worked.

The following day I tried cutting down the seat pin with a hacksaw blade, but I could tell this was going to take a while or three. What was needed was some form of power tool, so I hunted round my workshop looking for inspiration.
Having failed to be inspired, in desperation I mounted a 25mm Starrett Hole Saw cutter on a heavy duty 750w power drill, aimed it at the offending seat pin and hit the go button. I had to stop periodically to let the drill cool down, but 30 minutes later it had gone down about 6" and we had pin movement!

starrett_cutter.jpg

Luckily for me, the aluminium seat pin was soft and the steel frame hard, so the tool was pretty much self-guiding. I don't think this would have worked on an aluminium frame!

marin_muirwoods25.jpg

My next pressing issue was removing a knackered bottom bracket.Once again I tried the usual methods; a long extension on the
socket, mounting the tool in a vice and rocking the frame back and forth, heat from a blow lamp, WD40, etc.
Nothing was giving and as work and other leisure interests kicked in, it languished for the winter.

Siezed in bottom bracket

Recently I decided to bite the bullet and seek expert guidance. I was looking for a frendly, cheap and honest local bike shop with a proper workshop. Sadly in don't think they exist in South London any more, where most are geared towards selling this year's model and want you to "throw away that old thing".
The Internet led me to South Coast Bikes in Hove, who seemed interested. However on arrival, the mechanic said that he couldn't do any more than I had tried at home and recommended me to try Chris Smith Restorations who they use in such situations.
Chris Smith Restorations is a fantastic place, the sort of business that perhaps once existed in every high street in the country at one time, an Aladin's Cave of curios, from torpedos, to candelabras, to minature cannons that fire shotgun cartirdges, the air thick with the smell of freshly polished brass and cutting fluid.
I left the frame, not expecting too much, but sure enough a couple of weeks later when I phoned they were surprised I hadn't been earlier to collect. The cost was a paltry £10, I can't recommend them highly enough.

So, what next. I need to source and make a dry run assembly with front forks, then I can send the lot off for powder coating.

Forks at last

After much searching I was able to locate suitable front forks thanks to this forum. It is a bit of a monster of a frame and threaded forks with a 200mm steerer have gone the way of the penny farthing.
Thanks to "i believe in fixies" they arrived a week or so ago, I have made a quick dry run assembly. It all fits!

marin_muirwoods30.JPG

I have a complete set of bars, grips, stem, shifters, brakes (levers and cantis) and 300LX front and rear mechs off a 1991 Palisades. I can do you the lot for £50.
I've also got an M550 Deore LX chainset and rings I'll chuck in for another £25).
It's all very lightly used stuff off my Dad's bike, which has recently been turned into a drop-bar tourer.

I urgently need to see (and possibly even reach) the other side of my garage. :shock:

I love the old marins. This would be my size as well so looking forward to updates.

Not patronising but if you have this problem again you need to use a penetrating oil as WD40 soaking wont really do anything. But seems like the problem is fixed for now anyway!

Penetrating oil

Thanks for the tip, I'll definately give it a try next time round. Although given the amount of effort it took to remove the remains of the seat pin, I remain sceptical that anything short of TNT would do the job! :LOL:

Back