Fat Chance Buck Shaver! updated 21/11/12

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
first of all thanks to Northern Dave for this frame :D

i have wanted a Fat for quite a while, to a certain extent i was scared to get one though, the name in the range that always pops up is "yo eddy" and the price tags all make my wallet shudder with fear. also, what if i don't like the way they ride? 500 quid on a Yo to then not like it would have been regrettable to say the least!

the good thing about buying some of the bikes i have over the last few years is that if you buy it and then don't like it they didn't cost a fortune in the first place! so you can move them on without feeling you have lost a fortune and sometimes if you are lucky you make a bit back.

when this Fat was advertised i thought this would be the ideal compromise, not daft money but still a Fat! which i assume was also the original idea behind the Buck Shaver anyway ;)

i haven't decided exactly what to build this with yet, i have some m900 available but it seems wrong for a frame that was aimed at being value for money, so i might go for 8 speed xt m739 but with a few tweaks here and there, what parts are in the garage will also play a part though!

anyway here's some pics :D

Attachments

• fc buck shaver.jpg
    fc buck shaver.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 4,392
  • fc bullet ends.jpg
    fc bullet ends.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 4,392
  • fc bucktastic!.jpg
    fc bucktastic!.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 4,392
more :D

Attachments

• fc headtube.jpg
    fc headtube.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 4,389
  • FC logo.jpg
    FC logo.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 4,389
  • fc skinny rear end.jpg
    fc skinny rear end.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 4,389
Hi Johnny

Very nice. A friend had exactly the same. I had helped him sourcing parts. I must have pics of it somewhere. His was equipped with DX.

The Buck is an excellent choice. Some -in particular not so heavy- people even rate it a little over the Yo because of the smaller diameter tubing and monostay.

Nice one. At first time I've build my Wicked as a cheap singlespeed with some stock and incorrect parts which I've already had. Loved how she ride to the bits and decided to go for build what she deserved.
Stuffed with full NOS parts and don't use enough as all together is too dear to ride now :LOL: Don't make that mistake if you'll be enjoy the way how this frame handle.

I think black LX m563 would look spot on with red. Inexpensive, in Buck Shaver spirit and will keep you busy to collect parts.

well i have been in the garage for last couple of hours deciding want i want to do with it. decision is made.

i just bought a set of marzocchi forks for it, should be ok for the frame travel wise as they are from the same year, also i have a full avid v brake set, a little modern but shouldn't look out of place.

some of you may remember my recently built proflex, well the forks didn't feel very good in it so i swapped them out for a different pair which then clashed with the wheels colour wise, so the buckshaver is gonna get spinergy xyclones, black with yellow spokes. bar and stem wise i have a spare FSA set, not sure about the other bits yet so we'll see what happens as things become available on here and ebay

gonna try and have it rideable for mayhem even if it isn't the finished build.

:D :D

Go Jon!!! Brilliant... Hope it gets some good riding with you.

Rather embarrassingly I have another Buck Shaver exactly the same although with a 1 inch head tube. I would have have kept that one had it not for me buying an Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel and suddenly needing to find a wad of cash rapido.

I've toyed with lots of builds with mine. Mostly post 96 gear to keep period. M750, M740 and M950. I like to keep Fat Chance builds US centric but the Pace RC36 work really well on my Buck. My Yo and Shock a Billy are far more classically US, M900, Judys, Ringle Syncros etc.

Here's some inspiration, although this build is back to the drawing board. Those wheels really don't work with it.
DSC_3760.jpg

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

right!! :D we have some progress!

because i sold my E3 a while ago i have a load of m900 xtr available so i figured why not! i know it's a Buck Shaver meaning it's supposed to be a little more thrifty in it's build but i have xtr so it's getting xtr!! :D :D

i started building what i had today, i am waiting for the headset and if it wasn't for that i'd be alot further on but here's a couple of update pics :D :D

Attachments

• bs spinergy wheels.jpg
    bs spinergy wheels.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 4,121
  • bs the forks.jpg
    bs the forks.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 4,121
  • bs m900 and middleburn.jpg
    bs m900 and middleburn.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 4,121
  • bs i had to really.jpg
    bs i had to really.jpg