1993 Raleigh John Tomac Signature Model - FINISH - pag7

danielmochuelo

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello everybody,

You all know this is my first proyect here at Retrobike. This is a long story but really interesting. This happend the day
I bought a Raleigh titanium frame whith a small repair made on the downtube a few years ago. We thought that it was a Torus
FS model but not really sure. I looked for info and notice that is was similar to a Raleigh John Tomac Design Series.

As most of you I always loved that titanium-carbon bike that rode John Tomac in 1992.

tomac1.jpg

tomac.jpg

So I finally decide to change that frame into a Raleigh John Tomac Signature Model. I fitted some carbon vinyl on it and a
new set of decals (Thanks very much Gil) and here is the result.

Frame: Raleigh John Tomac Signature Model????

cuadro1b.jpg

cuadro2q.jpg

Anyway I´m looking for one original frame but it´s too difficult to find one. I know it´s not original like Rumpfy´s or Vitorzip´s
but I really like it.

So I started my "personal hunt"............. and, more than a year after, I finally found all the pieces in NOS or nearly new condition.

Fork: Tioga Showa (NOS)
horquillatiogashowa.jpg

Headset: Tioga Alchemy (NOS)
direccintiogaalchemy.jpg

Stem: Tioga Alchemy con Tioga Top cap (NOS)
potenciatiogaalchemy.jpg

Handlebar: Tioga DL2001 (NOS)
manillartiogadl2001.jpg

Seatpost: Tioga Carbo (NOS)
tijatiogacarbo.jpg

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Titanium (NOS)
selleitaliaflite1990.jpg

Bars: Tioga Powerstuds (Not totally original) (NOS)
acoplestiogapowerstuds.jpg

Shifters: Grip Shift SRT-500 (Like new)
gripshiftsrt500.jpg

Rear mech: Shimano XTR RD-M900 (Like new)
cambiotraseroxtrm900.jpg

Front mech: Shimano XTR FD-M901 (NOS)
desviadorxtrm901.jpg

Cassete: Shimano XTR CS-M900 12-32 (Like new)
cassettextrm900.jpg

Brake Levers: Grafton Re-Entry (Like New)
manetasgraftonreentry.jpg

Cantilevers: Grafon Mag-Lites (Like new)
cantisgraftonmaglite.jpg

Grips: ATI Mushrooms (NOS) (I would go for ODI Tomac but these are ok too)
puosatimushrooms.jpg

Crankset: Tioga Revolver (NOS)
bielastiogarevolver.jpg

Front wheel: Tioga Front Suspension Hub laced to a 32h Mavic M231cd with Phil wood spokes and nipples (all new but the rim, you know I´m looking for a NOS one)
tiogafrontsuspensionhub.jpg

Rear wheel: XT M737 laced to a Mavic M231cd with Tioga Disk Drive
tiogadisckdrive.jpg

Skewers: Ringlé Ti-Stix (Like new)
cierresringltistix.jpg

Tyres: Tioga Psycho K 26x1.95 ambar (NOS) (You know I´m looking for a skinwall pair too but.....)
cubiertastiogapsychok.jpg

Pedals: Time Atac (NOS)
pedalestimeatac.jpg

Chain: Shimano XTR HG91 8v (New)

Bottle cage: King cage titanium. (New) (waiting for it)

Cable set: Shimano XTR. (Nes) (Waiting for Gore Ride On)

Brake pads: Tioga (Only for the pics, I´ll take a set of ceramic Kool Stop ones)

Now.... This is the result. I hope you all like it. This has been my dream bike for years and now is in the garage!!

47882310.jpg

93206523.jpg

98198749.jpg

26589019.jpg

A piece of MTB history!!!

42756627.jpg

47363942.jpg

29854425.jpg

74011659.jpg

Clasic??. Of course it is!!

24967159.jpg

79710179.jpg

Finally found them..... Grafton Mag Lites!!!!

detallecantis.jpg

The IMPOSSIBLE Seatpost...

detalletijaysilln.jpg

Nice cranks.

detallesbielas.jpg

detallespuestomando.jpg

Special thanks to: Steelboy (Retrobike), Scant (Retrobike), Lee-m.c (Retrobike), Mfh126 (Retrobike), Caramba Kid (Retrobike),
TedC (Retrobike), Korbenn (Retrobike), younggeoff (Retrobike), Josele (ForoMTB), Paraja (ForoMTB), Erjabié (ForoMTB) and
all members from RB and ForoMtb.

It wouldn´t be possible without your help!!! Thanks,
Daniel.

WOW :shock:
That fork would be rare as a rare thing.
By the way, I've got some ODI Tomacs, but I wouldn't let you cut the end off them. Best grip ever.

Great work there chap - it look fantastic - also you can ride it without fear of a 20 year old bond coming apart on you - best of both worlds!

Much respect for finding all those original NOS parts too -some of those must have been tricky - (it still amazes me how much is still out there) - that is dedication right there!

Hope you enjoy it :D (get it in BOTM soon!) ;)

feetabix":3oc5ppa1 said:
Not a lot I can say to that dan.....great work!....

Thanks very much!!!!

KiwiJohn":3oc5ppa1 said:
........That fork would be rare as a rare thing.
By the way, I've got some ODI Tomacs, but I wouldn't let you cut the end off them. Best grip ever.......

The fork is pretty rare but a mate provide me with this one a few months ago. I was lucky then. Be sure that ODI Tomacs are the best grips ever and be sure that I wouldn´t cut the end off them ;)

FST4RD":3oc5ppa1 said:
Very nice! Good work with all the NOS stuff too!

Thanks, It´s been too difficult..... As you know I´m still looking for a 32h Mavic 231CD and a pair of Psychos Skinwall. I´ll wait for them....

nevadasmith":3oc5ppa1 said:
Great work there chap - it look fantastic - also you can ride it without fear of a 20 year old bond coming apart on you - best of both worlds!

Much respect for finding all those original NOS parts too -some of those must have been tricky - (it still amazes me how much is still out there) - that is dedication right there!

Hope you enjoy it Very Happy (get it in BOTM soon!)..

I´m glad you like it!!. I´ll rode it soon next week, it´s fantantic!

"it still amazes me how much is still out there"...... Me too!!

what a great bike! Those cranks are amazing, and the fork is very cool too :cool:

That has to be the best "bike that isn't" I've ever seen! a true homage to the original, well done. I can hardly believe you managed to find all those parts, either NOS or almost as new, just goes to show the stuff is out there if you look hard enough :D

Back