BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
here are some of the parts ive managed to restore
i try to restore and keep as much of the original parts as possible
pedals before
muddyfoxrestoration014.jpg

muddyfoxrestoration015.jpg

and then completely stripped including bearing cups and rebuilt with new bearings
muddtfoxBETTERPIX008.jpg

muddtfoxBETTERPIX007.jpg

levers next stripped, powdercoatedand polished with new original diacompe bolts
muddtfoxBETTERPIX009.jpg

muddtfoxBETTERPIX012.jpg

canti brakes stripped polished and fitted with new suntour pads
muddtfoxBETTERPIX014.jpg

muddtfoxBETTERPIX015.jpg

seat skewer
muddtfoxBETTERPIX025.jpg

handlebars
muddtfoxBETTERPIX026.jpg

muddtfoxBETTERPIX003.jpg

sugino cranks polished with new caps (from usa)
muddtfoxBETTERPIX005.jpg

muddtfoxBETTERPIX006.jpg

You're doing really nice work here, but it looks like you have three threads going for different elements of the same build?

What the rest of us do is 'reply' to our topic starting post, then the whole build stays together as one thread

Just don't hit the new topic button. Instead go to your first topic (post) and hit 'reply' to reply yourself, thus adding your update onto your build thread

I read the other two threads (topics) as well and you're like some kind of magician old cruddy parts suddenly travel time and look NOS :LOL:

the original suntour xc 5000 thumbies were rusty but i found some nos in america

muddtfoxBETTERPIX009.jpg

muddtfoxBETTERPIX011.jpg

muddtfoxBETTERPIX013.jpg

i couldnt get a new epoch mori headset so used the parts from a new 1" headset(bottom race,cup and bearings) and restored the original top race,spring and cup
2 hours of rubbing down and polishing the outer epoch signature cap
muddtfoxBETTERPIX016.jpg

muddtfoxBETTERPIX017.jpg

the original sugino bottom bracket was worn out but again i found a nos boxed one in the netherlands of all places
muddtfoxBETTERPIX019.jpg

muddtfoxBETTERPIX020.jpg

muddtfoxBETTERPIX018.jpg

muddtfoxBETTERPIX021.jpg

the original saddle waswrecked but i bought a good condition one off ebay so i gave it a coating of "back to black" and a good polish
i found a nos no name seatpost identical to the original 26.2mm one which wasnt to bad condition anyway
the q/r was made from the original polished lever mated to a nos raliegh 8mm skewer
muddtfoxBETTERPIX023.jpg

muddtfoxBETTERPIX024.jpg

muddtfoxBETTERPIX025.jpg

frame restoration to follow when i get it back from powdercoaters

the wheels were in a poor state but after a complete strip the hubs were rebuilt with new bearings,cones and axles after a mirror finish polish and imanaged to salvage the original sansin decals(the front one were off a spare wheel i bought just for the decals)

muddtfoxBETTERPIX031.jpg

muddtfoxBETTERPIX038.jpg

muddtfoxBETTERPIX037.jpg

muddtfoxBETTERPIX029.jpg

muddtfoxBETTERPIX030.jpg

the araya 7x rims were rubbed down with 800 and 1200 grit wet n dry and then polished on my drill with a polishing kit
i then had a go at lacing the wheels myself(dt swiss spokes) which came out better than i thought i handed them to a bike shop freind who trued them and dished them so now they are perfect
muddtfoxBETTERPIX033.jpg

muddtfoxBETTERPIX034.jpg

muddtfoxBETTERPIX035.jpg

muddtfoxBETTERPIX039.jpg

muddtfoxBETTERPIX040.jpg

the freewheel was stripped and greased including all the bearings replaced(there were lots)
and the original spoke guard was cleaned up and reused
muddtfoxBETTERPIX036.jpg

muddtfoxBETTERPIX037.jpg

I need all those components in my life !

Really want to build an early 80's bike ,just put off by sourcing the parts !

Back