1988 Stumpjumper "Team" - Sold and gone.... :-(

jimo746

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
I've been looking for a proper retro bike to bring back to life and in the early 90's I almost bought a Stumpjumper but decided to stay UK and got an Orange Prestige instead, so I was keeping my eyes peeled ideally for an early 90's Stumpjumper frame that I could use as a project.
Then I saw this 1988 Stumpjumper Team frame & forks on Ebay, it was a bit earlier than I was really looking for, but I was drawn in by it's Tange Prestige lugged frame, the slack frame angles, and the funky rollercam brake :D

So here it is....
IMG_0678-2.jpg

It came as the frame & forks, with a Tange Falcon headset, front Shimano M730 canti brakes, and rear Suntour XC Power rollercam brake, also a modern-ish looking cartridge bottom bracket.

Frame number appears to be: 8F0088

IMG_0679-1.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0683-1.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0681-1.jpg

So, it needs a LOT of work doing to it :LOL:
With this bike I'm going to try and do things properly, which will probably mean sending the frame off to be professionally resprayed, sourcing replica decals, and putting on components that are period correct (I'm not too fussed about catalogue correctness.) I have a hankering for some drop-bars so this frame may get the drop bar treatment in the future.

This will be a work-in-progress build thread, so be prepared for a long wait
:LOL:

Cool but please don't put drops on it, put some nice risers like it should have and enjoy the shopper position ;)
I would agree with makster on the year, have a look Here not the same colour but looks very similar.

Handlebar choice is a long way off yet :D although I do have what the seller claims are the original handlebars (black Specialized alloy ones with a nice sweep to them).

I've been using the spec list on Mombat which shows the 88' Team Stumpy as being grey/white, black Specialized bar, Shimano cant's up front, but with a Shimano U-brake out back (I guess the brakes may have been changed over time?), also my frame does not have the "S" stamped on the top of the seatstays like the earlier models?

Well hello! Been waiting for ages fo someone else to get one of these.

Deffo '88, but the serial number ending 88 is a coincidence as mine is 8F0015. What is the final character - I can't make mine out?

They came with rear ubrakes, but rollercams have great feel and are, frankly, cooler.

For paint, I can recomend Bob Jackson in Leeds (proper stove enamel that doesn't smooth over the fine lugs, like powdercoat can), but if you search on here, there are lots of other good places.

Ah... greetings Dr.Bond, I see we have much in common.
james-bond.gif

The final character is a mystery to me too, it's not a number or letter, that's for sure.

I will enquire at Bob Jackson cycles about paint, I sometimes travel down that way so I'd prefer to drop the bike off in person rather than send it out via Parcelforce etc...

Ps: do you have any pics of your bike? so I can get a feel for what it may look like when built up?

Interesting that yours doesn't have the seatstay "S" stamp: mine has a recessed one.

Mine's been in constant development since 1989 and is far from catalogue. It's currently set up as a fairly laid back 3 speed and is nice and light.

If you want to go more catalogue, I've put a pic below. They look ace with a long low stem (Tiaga T bone?) and slightly swept prestige bars; grabon grips and XT. A suede Turbo saddle would be supercool.

As an aside, one of the best bits is the tinginess of the frame viz:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/53 ... iesi0.flv/

Anyway here's where the '88 fits in the line up:

1985 in pink, raised S and unicrown fork with mini lugs. (NB the 25 years of Stumpjumper has this model starting in 1984, when they were raced with drop bars.)

StumpTeamFront.JPG

StumpTeamSeat.JPG

1986: Simillar frame.

StumpTeam2.jpg

For 1987 they were built by Dave Tesch in the US. Blue and White and very sought after.

stumpyteam_858.jpg

Magazine review here:

http://mombat.org/Specialized.htm

Grey and white for 1988. Welded unicrown fork with no lugettes.

heres a huge scan:

http://img717.imageshack.us/i/1988y.jpg/

You'll love it.

Thanks a lot for all that info, tis strange that there is no "S" on the seatstay :?

I'm happy to be as "period correct" as reasonably possible when I get around to building the bike, I think the chances of me finding one of the Browning BEAST transmissions are less then me winning the Euromillions lottery!! :LOL:

The full Specialized Bicycles 1988 catalogue is in the magazines/catalogues section, or the user gallery of the same name. This spread may also be some use.

Craig

main.php

Thanks for that info. No news on the frame yet, but I have slowly been collecting period parts for it. It will be finished sometime this year I'm sure.

What are period correct rims for 1988? Araya RM20? What did Mavic produce?

Back