team marin '95.

marc two tone

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Ask any steel marin owner -->97 and you hear positive and sometimes humble comments on how reliable, rigid and even comfy they can be to ride around the chosen chunk of earth. On occasion, some folk just don't rate them or have not had the opportunity to test one in the cold light of day so, as part of my life-long journey to track down and enjoy a real piece of class...

here's my version of things...

marin did a team bike for the masses? i want one!

DSCF0015-2.jpg

20 years later... i got one!

DSCF0012-2.jpg

i like the paintwork of these mid-90's marins. almost titanium-ish

;)

DSCF0005-2.jpg

no real 'catalogue' spec here. just, happy to fit what works. although a titec seatpost was sourced from here. and, i had a marin lite stem in stock.

DSCF0009-1.jpg

im easily pleased with XT components solid and clean up ok.

DSCF0007-2.jpg

ok, marin used the same metal as most cycle brands but, tange has a reputation of it's own. generally good.

DSCF0006-1.jpg

the manitou 4 have as much bounce as a cannon ball but, look good on most marins. like what pace is to orange, marzocchi to kona etc..

DSCF0004-2.jpg

like a chihuahua to wag's holdall those girvin bars are always with me and, installed to my favourite bike.

i will see that this marin gets some good use this year as ive waited long enough for a one.

thanks for listening. you have been wonderful!

great stuff.....that looks great!.....look through all the hype over different materials, steel gets the job done every time.....how does it ride?....

That is lovely.

Looking forward to ride reviews as and when. And some "action" shots.

thanks guys.

the ride is very 'punchy' and responsive. steel is certainly a rediscovery for me as i thought alu and suchlike had all the hype and technology but, this frame doesn't punish you (or your bum) and, climbs well too.

the recent forrest of dean national series ride was the bikes' first real mileage and i loved it, the bike dealt with the sharp, twisty trails and made me feel confident.

isn't it strange how metal of varying grades and design layouts can alter so much in the frames' handling and comfort?

the cantilever brakes WORK! actually slowed me down. sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards! philosophically

;)

Very nice bike! I've got the same frame, but it's a bit too big for me. I'm riding a Pine Mountian, and that one fits me perfectly (a bit shorter in the same size)
Very cool picture, that first one! But it would be nice to see a pic from the side. All the parts you mounted work for me, except for the chainset. A White Industries would look a bit better :LOL:

kaya":kkiqnm96 said:
Very nice Marc when are we going to see it out on a ride up north ;)

soon my brother, soon. ;)

rio, white industries is a top option. im just looking as always for a really cheap set. as if! :)

i'd love to install xtr 950 cranks as i just like the look of them. but, the dollar king says no.

thanks for all your kind comments and suppport. :cool:

Love it!

I had a 1994 eldridgegrade bitd... spent a fortune on upgrading it, loved it, then it got stolen. Would love another steel marin at some point. My Dad still has his one, and it still rides great!

Back