daj

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Here is my return back into Retrobike ownership

The serial number is 011962078LTS 18 6061

If anyone can advise on which model it is that would be great , I am guessing its a November 1996 LTS-1 but with the mismash of parts hoping maybe a team :LOL:

Another confusing things is its on cantis and 1996 frames should of been changed to V`s? :?

Anyway here are some rubbish pics I just took quick, Its basically as I picked it up apart from a quick front shock overall and quick service. Bit dirty from maiden retro FOD meet , As usual i got plans :cool:

DSC06083.jpg

DSC06084.jpg

DSC06085.jpg

DSC06086.jpg

DSC06087.jpg

DSC06088.jpg

DSC06089.jpg

DSC06094.jpg

In 1996 Shimano introduced the "new" XTR which included the V-brakes as you mentioned. My memory is a bit fuzzy but somewhere I have a 1996 GT catalog. Those are not the original decals, not the original fork, probably are the original wheels, not the original bars, not the original seatpost or seat. The team LTS frame would not have had a cantilever brake post on the seatstays if I recall correctly. I used to know how to read the production date on the frames. If that is a 1996 front triangle it is probably a 1995 seatstay. The decal kit looks like it was from 1997

Hope that helps a bit, sweet bike.

Given the build I'd imagine that was bought as a frameset.

Shimano did indeed bring V brakes into the market in '96, but bear in mind that a '96 season bike would have been designed (and often built) the year before, so in '95 - therefore canti's were still default. Also we need to take into account that V brakes were an upgrade for most, so manufacturers still ran canti stops to allow for flexibility - much like we saw later with canti bosses and disc tabs on frames. If, for instance, like me back in '96 you bought an LTS frame, but didn't like V brakes/already had some high-end canti’s, you'd still have the flexibility. I ran Onza HO's on mine for example. So they certainly did have canti stops in '96:

GT_Team_LTS_1.jpg

Not mine, but it shows the rear end nicely (oo-er)! You can see the change to the downtube gusset and single bolt dropout nicely as well. For '97 the front end was unchanged, but the rear was quite different.

With regards to the year - it's a '96 frame, going by the gusset, link plates and rear shock. A standard '95 LTS would be running the Fox Alps shock, a '97 would be running a RockShox Super Deluxe (or Coupe etc...) - with the shock body at the top, and a red spring. The decals should match the ones in the image above for full retro completeness if that's your bag.

The 'Team' moniker doesn't really denote anything other than the catalogue spec incidentally - if it's an LTS-1 or a Team LTS prior to the '97 it'll be a 6061 aluminium frame, the finishing kit was the only difference, aside from the gusset placement. The only thing that bothers me is the serial - are you 100% sure that it's not starting with '0196...'? I'd imagine the '97 LTS production run would have started by then, with the 'Trunnion' style top linkage.

lovely looking bike! i much prefer the first generation LTS frame with that cast titanium top link. i have a 1997 LTS with the CNC trunion mount...it just does not look as cool. if i recall though, early LTS frames had heaps of trouble with the seat stay assembly cracking...and this couod also be the reason you bike is a little bit of each era..

There you go, I'd agree with Drencrom and his corrections to my comments.
I'm not sure I would agree with it being built up from a frame because those look like stock wheels and gold 217's were an OE product, at least they were here across the pond. I live in California. That does appear to be a US built frame as all frames at that level and time period were. Either built in California or Colorado at their custom shop.

hmmm some interesting comments, will check the serial number again I thought the current number I think it is would indicate november 1996?

I have had a reply from the previous owner regarding history

Not much I can offer on history. My friend bought bike I thought in 1996. He was a major mtb fiddler so could well have changed a few parts. He was an XTR fanatic. It was the best back then after all.
He sold it to another friend of mine but he did not change anything. Not long after I bought it circa 1999. I changed the chainset to raceface and I put the saddle on. I am sure Kore stem came on bike but was a shorter one that the red one you have. I also think the bars are after market but the seat post will be original i think. The shocks should be original.

Here is a quick spec

6061 Frame
Judy fork ( D/H?)
XT 737 crank
wheels 217 m900 rear tioga (sticker?) front
XT (guessing 737 ) rear mech
M900 shifters and cantis
lx front mech (strange)
Kore stem
Syncros seatpost

My guess would be it was bought as a frame and had parts transplanted from another ride - I did the very same from a Zaskar to a similar '96 LTS. If you had a set of XTR shifters and canti's you'd be loathe to part with them, even if M950 had just been released.

On the frame date side of things, if it is a Nov. '96 serial, it could be that the front end was a warranty replacement.

Due to the late production of 11/96, we know it's actually a 97 model year frame. Due to the serial number and 6061 we would know it's USA built. V-and canti bosses are the same so you can't really go by how it's built up...may have been started from a frame set. Is your upper rear link titanium or aluminum? Appears titanium. That link was not used in 1997 model year bikes so it's appearing to me that someone has mated a 97 front end with an older 95 or 96 rear end.

If originally sold as a Tech shop frame set it's an "LTS frame"
If sold as a complete bike it would have been a Team LTS or an LTS-1 due to it's USA heritage

daj":101h45ny said:
Judy fork ( D/H?)

How are they working, it looks like you've posted pics of dead elastomers, if that's the case then Indy springs are a direct replacement for the elastomers, just undo the preload adjusters and replace.

Back