Breezerboy's FW Evans

breezerboy

Retro Guru
'04 seems about right. Identical bars/grips to my '83

Cool bikes.

The UP seems to have identical bars/grips to my '83 F W Evans.

Must admit, it's not a patch on the breezer for performance, but equally cool in its own way.

Spec includes Suzue large flange hubs, TA 48/32 chainset, Suntour Mountech rear mech, Suntour Powershift levers, Shimano 600 front mech, Brooks Flyer saddle, etc.
CIMG0564.jpg

CIMG0563.jpg

CIMG0556.jpg

Love the FW Evans...deserves it's own topic for sure. Anymore details? Where did you pick it up from ??

Cheers John,

19.5" seat tube - 22 3/4" top tube
126mm rear spacing for 6 speed. (48/32 up front plus 13-34 rear gives a good spread of gears though.)
Stupidly relaxed angles and long wheelbase means very stable but not terribly responsive.
Chang Star 5 finger brake levers and Canti's
501 All Terrain Tubeset (Seems to almost be Tandem Gauge - and weight!).

I can post more pictures if you like, it has some really nice details such as the braced rear cable stop for the brake - love it.

Best bit was - £5 at a car boot sale and just needed a clean! :LOL:

Well, I did fit new tyres/saddle as the others were unusable, but I don't consider it bad for the money.

breezerboy":2o1hutir said:
Best bit was - £5 at a car boot sale and just needed a clean! :LOL:

That's a steal :shock:

Looks in great nick too. Would love to see more pictures. Was this something Evans offered as stock or custom? Assume this is the same Evans still trading today?

Will pop a few more pics on tomorrow.

It is the same Evans as today, but back in the day when they were a small local bike store in Waterloo, London (they still have a shop there today).

They started off in '83 doing a few custom bikes (including a couple that where ridden up/around Kilimanjaro) and progressed from there. 1 or 2 off the peg builds were offered but they always offered the custom option, including your own geometry.

I've got a mag from '86 giving more details so will try to do a few scans in the next few days.

take it back to the waterloo shop for a service... i bet most of the current staff won't have a clue.

:D Great Bike. :D
These bikes didn't appear until the spring of 1984. I immediately hired one for a weekend from Kingston Cycles, frame number 0001 (resplendant in Saracen black). The others in the shop were silver. About May I bought a silver 23.5 inch model, to which I had them fit drop handlebars.

I'am surprised the Suntour Mountech has survived, the mud wore mine out very quickly. I have lots of info on these bikes and their history and may even have a few old parts.

That is a very attractive bike- love the canti bridge. Looks to be in fantastic condition too. Must get myself to some car boots!

£5... I reckon theres a profit in that!

Back