1992 Kona Cinder Cone - org parts or update w/ new parts

Storm1976

Dirt Disciple
I just picked up a nice '92 Kona Cinder Cone that has all original parts, including Joe Murray tires still in great condition (i added the green Michelins). The headset and bottom bracket are shot, so I need to replace those. It had numerous stickers which I had to remove and just need to shine up the paint.

What I'm trying to figure out is whether I should keep certain orginal parts or replace them with newer parts. Here's what I'm thinking I would change out:

frt & rear deraileurs - Came the Deore LX...maybe switch out to newer XT's?
shifters - came with Deore 7 speed thumbs...9 speed rapid fires?
cassette - came with 7 speed...9 speed XT?
wheels - came with araya's with Deore LX hubs...lighter mavics with XT hubs?
crankset - came with Deore LX...XT or XTR (have a 950 laying around)?
brakes - came with Deore DX's...v-brakes?

Essentially if I update with newer parts, it'll add another $300 - $400.

Need some of your wisdom out there. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 1,801
It depends on what you want to do with it. If it's a rider, then I see no problem. Clearly you'll upset the purists, but so what? Leave them to their polishing and working out what colour the grease blob on an M732 rear mech was originally.

My one rule is no 4-arm cranks or outboard BBs, they just look wrong to me. Personally I think 9 speed is too fragile and tetchy but I'm a grouch. :roll:

As above - its going to be your ride do with it as you wish :D

Having gone down this route before I am starting to see the errors of my way ;) and am reverting to more period stuff.

If you have the existing period stuff why not clean it up, replace the non working bits (headset and BB) and ride it as it was originally specced.

After that if you want to up spec it go for it.

$300 - $400 is a lot to spend for no real performance gains.

just my $0.02

Upgrade but keep the original bits......you will enjoy a second time around putting it all back again!.....

Thanks all! I think for now I'm going to clean up the original parts, maybe keep my eye out for some period XT parts and see how it goes. I'll show off (part of the addiction of this site) the final product shortly.

Generally I work on an 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' principle. It's amazing what some new chain, cables and a good clean will do.

I still use a 1992 LX rear hub (30,000 miles) and some DX thumbies continuously since 1990. It's good stuff and built to last.

Cleaned and polished the paint (pics don't do justice), new cables, new BB, new Ritchey headset, replaced the LX front and rear deraileurs with XT's. Almost done, just looking for some front brakes (black XT's or DX's) and have to find a new BB cable guide because I can't find where I put the original (DAMN IT!).

This bike has turned out awesome so far, can't wait to ride it. Kept the original Joe Murray seatpost, original saddle & original Joe Murray tires (look brand new).

Attachments

• 043.JPG
    043.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 1,535
  • 041.JPG
    041.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,534
  • 045.JPG
    045.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,535
  • 059.JPG
    059.JPG