Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:53 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:54 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Love it.. same colour as mine (but in better condition and a much nicer build to boot)...

Way cool 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:48 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

cheers for the comments folks and I lurve De orange Anthony (see the 100% original Koa in the background of one pic).
The chainset would have been nicer original i think, but the rings were knackered and there was some nasty scratches and gouges and the only option was to polish. I do have other rings a dainty NOS Sunn ringle black and silver outer or blue middleburns, but thought it would be just too much blue. I also have Ritchey bluewall tyres but again thought it would be overkill.
Im confused about the fork being too long though as it did come with this option in 99 and surely someone must have tried it, as said it feels fine on the road and the front doesnt feel light at all ( perhaps due to the weight of the forks), but time and twisty single track will tell.

http://www.bikemagic.com/gear-news/kill ... s/434.html

having a few problems with the forks at the moment with them topping out and no rebound or compression damping which im hoping is due to the fact that they have never been serviced and that new oil will sort it out, might try running them with a bit of sag at this point

The bike feels very comfy and natural and has quite a modern bike riding postition feel to it similar to my cove

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:19 am 

Looking good Charlie. Loving the colour. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:20 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Charlieboy28 wrote:
Im confused about the fork being too long though as it did come with this option in 99 and surely someone must have tried it, as said it feels fine on the road and the front doesnt feel light at all ( perhaps due to the weight of the forks), but time and twisty single track will tell.
http://www.bikemagic.com/gear-news/kill ... s/434.html

Yes, but I feel sure it was the marketing men that decided to offer it with such a wide array of fork lengths, not the frame designer! We can see from the zero bottom bracket drop that the frame was designed for a c43.5cm fork and a 48 is too long. Back in 1997, people used to stick any old fork on any frame without much thought for the geometry. And the Z1 is a really good fork, so it obviously felt better than an Indy, even if it was the Indy that was the right length. However there is no escaping the fact that the longer the fork, the slacker the head angle gets - and that will slow the handling down unless you make some other change to compensate.

Charlieboy28 wrote:
having a few problems with the forks at the moment with them topping out and no rebound or compression damping which im hoping is due to the fact that they have never been serviced and that new oil will sort it out, might try running them with a bit of sag at this point

They're usually pretty reliable, so hopefully a service will sort them out.

Charlieboy28 wrote:
The bike feels very comfy and natural and has quite a modern bike riding postition feel to it similar to my cove

I guess that's because it is just like a modern bike design really. Slack head angle combined with short stem/swept bars is the way they design bikes now, and the same principle works pretty well for retro bikes too. I have a 100mm Fox on my 96 Explosif, and I find that handles really sharp with an 80mm stem and flat bar, but I wouldn't fancy it with a longer stem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:06 pm 
Old School Hero

Another lovely erzulie, maybe i should have done mine Orange too :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:44 pm 

love the blue anodised touches.... will be adding that to mine me thinks :D