1990 Offroad Proflex 750

Lionel Blair

Dirt Disciple
Thought I'd post a few pics of the bike I bought with paper round earnings over 20 years ago.. I rode it like hell for a couple of years, then went off to University and since 1994 it's basically sat unloved in my mum's shed. Once I bought my own house she put her foot down and made me take it away..

Nearly all original parts - XC comp shifters, gears, XC Pro crank and rear hub, Dia Compe 986 Brakes and levers. I think the only parts that aren't original are the saddle, tyres, front wheel (original got nicked), and Campagnolo headset that was put on a year or so after I got it.

Rear shock kind of fits but isn't perfect size, not sure where to get another from since demise of that company in Scotland that were selling them.. Flexstem shock looks about to split.

I love it, but not really sure what to do with it now, any thoughts...?
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Nice,

I had a 550 bitd, i added some magura's and white porcs - yummy

So I bought a 750 a few years later for about 30 quid :) Its currently stripped down ready for a rebirth but here it is in its original glory ➡️

BTW, noticed yours has a steel plexstem quill section!, unusual as they were meant to be alloy

118_1825.jpg

Retrobikeguy - Yes, you're right about the stem. All the photos I have ever seen of others always have silver alloy quill - don't know why mine is steel.

Only theory is that I bought the bike almost as soon as they became available, was told by dealer it was one of first in country - maybe early production was a little inconsistent. Dunno, just a thought.

Build it back up......love it and compare it's qualities with any new bikes you may own......it will have it's own character you won't find elsewhere.......it's history and connection with you will endear it to you......romantic claptrap I know, but it's why we are all here......welcome to retrobike!.....f

Yes, my other half has given me ultimatum on shed space though.. It may be a choice between keeping the Proflex and a 2011 full susser I have my eye on! Decisions!

It's weird seeing a photo of another 750 - have never seen another in the flesh. Wonder how many are still going...

Try to keep it, what you will get for it won't replace it's sentimental value and if you remain a passenger on the good ship retrobike you may well regret it's loss!........

That's probably right.

Are you sure it's a 1991? I thought the last number of the Proflex product names corresponded to the year it was made - like a 753 is from 1993..

Back