'94 Avanti Competitor

Arran

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Most of you won't know much if anything about the Avanti Brand but I have a long history with it. My first real MTB was an '88 Avanti Ridge Rider; Tange cr-mo diamond frame & fork with a Suntour XCE groupset (incl. those bloody awful X-Press shifters) & Alesa rims. My next MTB was a Nishiki e-stay but after that i've pretty much had Avanti's in my stable constantly. Oh, yeah, and i've worked for Avanti for the last 10 1/2 years...

This little beauty is a '94 Avanti Competitor which was the 3rd from the top of the MTB range that year (below the Team Ti & the Lightning XTR). I was lucky enough to pick this bike up in practically unused condition & I haven't used it since I got it (it's a little too small):

competitor1.jpg

Frame: 7005 alloy, 1 1/8" head tube, brused Ti finish, Dura-Ace cable stops for gear cables
Fork: RS Mag 21
Headset: Tange Aheadset
Groupset: Shmano M737 XT (24 speed)
Rims: Araya RM395 Team 32h
Spokes: DT Competition
Tyres: Panaracer Smoke & Dart Hard Core
Bars: Zoom 150
Barends: Zoom Boa
Stem: Zoom cr-mo (not the original but closest I could find)
Pillar: Avanti randed Kalloy 31.8

competitor2.jpg

competitor3.jpg

competitor4.jpg

competitor5.jpg

nice one! thats in amazing condition! i remember them. in fact a guy i used to ride with BITD used to ride that exact bike.

Very nice condition. The 93 Avantes were very smart as well, particularly the Lightning & the Tuatara of course.
I couldn't afford one of these, so got a Peugeot instead. Followed by a 96 Avante Hammer V.
Avante has made some pretty good bikes over the years.

A nice avanti

Yes I remember them well, most cracked in the seat stay seat tube joint :( cost avanti a lot of warranty frames.
But I have seen an original 92 BRG competitor 7spd xt (full group set) with original smoke/dart tires etc mid cage xt rear D, zoom brama bars, rigid alloy avanti forks. That came into the local avanti shop to be cleaned up for use. It had be used for like 6 months then hung up & left. spotless no chips or rub marks. The owner didn't want to sell it. :(

andrewl":2s17aght said:
Looks good, but when do we get to see the lightning??

Funny you should ask... I've just kicked off the 'rebuild the Lightning' project. It's in a bit of a sorry state at present (see below). It actually came in 2 colour schemes; Rhino red & polished, so this bad boy is getting a strip back! I'm sourcing decals at the moment & have the groupset waiting...

lightning2.jpg

Hi Arran

Here is my Avanti Competitor Team. Not sure what year it is - hopefully you can advise. Please excuse the seat & bars - was an attempt to make it more comfortable for my wife and it needs a clean after EQ liquefaction.

Has full XT M737? and is T6 7005 heat treated double butted frame

main.php

main.php

a nice lightening

A local sufer has an original lightening as well with the original alloy forks in polished form very sweet. The canny bugger won't sell it. :(
Oh well I like the ride of steel anyway.

Back