kingroon

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Righto, this is a Special One..

One of the first IFs made, and a Team Bike to boot. Gleaned this from one of the FATperts over at FatCOGs..

Team frame. Stonyfield Farm was a title sponsor. My friend Earl had one of those when he moved from riding for Fat's team over to IF's. I think Gretchen Reeves raced for IF at that time as well.

The earliest ones, like my old one, had Ritchey dropuots where the later early ones from 95/96 had Paragon. All the early ones had True Temper tubes, and the lore at the time was that they were built from tubes that were left behind when Fat moved to NY, though I suspect if there is any truth to that it is more likely that it was an order for tubes that Fat backed out of and young IF decided to purchase. The IF boys were really sensitive to comparisons to the Yo. I remember Elmo getting pretty worked up about it when some of us at the shop were making direct comparison. He made sure to point out the differences, like no domes stay ends and downtube cable routing.

Also I think, though I am not 100% sure that the early frames were straight gauge and not butted tubes.

So.. It's currently at a mate's house in Lowell, MA, but should be with me soon [ish]..

Build wise.. I'm rethinking what I do with it given the mention above of Elmo's sensitivity when it came to the Deluxe being compared to a Yo!

I was gonna go Aquafade a la Yo Homage.. With a set of Yo/BOI forks.. Turquoise & Green Blinglé.. :twisted:

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 6,392
A dairy cow! Is this the same one that was on eBay? I don't know how you can even consider repainting that, it's the best paint scheme ever.

Was that in 'the box'?

Looks nice. Really dig the paint, be tempted to keep it. If you are going respray I'd not rehash a fat colour though. Plenty of worthy IF colours about.

John":8za10f9q said:
Was that in 'the box'?

No, that was a Chicken Donor frame..

John":8za10f9q said:
Looks nice. Really dig the paint, be tempted to keep it. If you are going respray I'd not rehash a fat colour though. Plenty of worthy IF colours about.

I hear ya, but not sure I'd have that Fresian Do out of choice.. I first lusted over an IF back in '96 when the Orange one was being passed around the various Mags as a Test Rig..

main.php

The Freisan / Holstein works for me, recall someone doing a Wicked in that scheme. I do like milk though (plus one side of the family were dairy farmers). If you decide it's not for you ;)

The Orange is indeed classic. As is the green as per Wu's frame. Even quite like the cream my newer IF is done in.

Chicken Donor?

You must be well pleased with that score! I'm with John on the paint scheme. think the udder/bottom bracket area is a laugh!

My vote would be, if the paint scheme is in good condition, leave it as it is. If it's poked, go for an authentic IF colour scheme. Even though i'm sure you're itching to use your green & aqua Blingle' on a build, it'd blasphemy to paint it in a Fat Chance colour scheme.

heartbreaker":25nyb5f3 said:
The yeo valley paint is cool ,would be a shame to strip it

Keep it please :)

'Yo Valley', surely! Couldn't resist, sorry. :oops:

The cow theme is superb, I'd stick with it myself, and agree about not going for a Fat colour scheme. But it's your frame fella...

Back