lewis1641

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I bought this a while ago with the intention of selling it on but ended up doing nothing to it. I then decided to build it as a full on winter spec single speed. I started but was stalled by a few simple issues and having more important things to waste my money on.

Fast forward and my mate is having to sell his bike to pay the bills so I decided to build this for him instead.

I finished it today (5 months for a shonky build must be a record surely!)

Details.

Frame is 17.5/19 (c-c/c-t) giving a22.5" actual top tube measwurement and a 115mm 1 1/8 head tube. Frame material is True Temper TT Lite

Fork is the original Manitou R with custom lock out facility (see pic). Original owner couldnt get the bolts out to replace the elastomers so drilled, tapped and bolted the stantions instead!

Wheels are miss matched rear is stx hub/mavic 221 sub rim. Front is unbranded hub on a Weinmann 2421 Rim.

Tyres are modern Michelin country mud for winter use and cheepie white tyres for the summer.

Brake levers are Cane Creek Direct Curve levers mated to STX v's thanks to chrisv40.

An easton stem supports a BBB carbon low rise bar and Quando lock ons do the gripping. completing the front end is a lovely WTB Monument Comp st headset

Bottom Bracket is a sealed Shimano cheapie, cranks are shed floor sweepings. The FSA 38 tooth ring drives a 16 tooth sprocket via a cheapie chain (cheap but strong). The gearing is set up this way as ginner is pretty powerful in the leg and it is relatively flat in our area.

Pedals for now are a set of Tioga Surefoots with powergrips (courtesy of rob golden era.

A downhill type chain guide does the tensioining.

That's it for now. Shake down ride tonight with andyb so i hope he brings tools!

only planned changes are some dual sided pedals(karma from chrisv40) when ginner can afford some spd shoes and some functioning forks when either of us can offord them!

Built for £70 (40 for frame fork wheels and bits, £10 chainring and £20 tyres, rest was tonated or from my stash). there are undoubtedly better bikes out there for the money but i have enjoyed putting it together and also prefer so see my parts stash on a frame rather than in a big box.

Comments and criticisms welcome.

2r38k2h.jpg

20jq0cw.jpg

nyy9t1.jpg

2i1jx9v.jpg

i like it a lot. its got an elegance about it, and purposeful, and nice old high end bits and bobs. very well done single speeder.

bit of a shame about the lock out option...but it adds a good angle to the story of the bike.

Thats turned out really nice Dave, Ginner's going to be over the moon with that.

When are you two coming out riding with us, want to see that in the flesh :)

she's gone :cry: ]
ginner came round to take a bike home. it was a choice between this or "the thing" and he took my beauty from me.

good thing is he loves it. gearing may be a little tall so that needs looking at but he is hoping to get out on it this sunday morning.

really pleased (kinda) that he likes it because i dont have much room.

Back