Kona Cinder Cone from 90; my personal dream

stoppi_71

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello!

This week my favourite classic bike, a Kona Cinder Cone from 1990, arrived from England (Thank's to ebay-mark).

Though some of the parts can't be used (wheelset, crankset, saddle, seatpost, bottom bracket and headset) the frame and the fork are in excellent condition. And this is the most important thing, isn't it?

I'll rebuild the princess with a shimano XT-group from 1994 (don't stone me to death), a red ringle holder (bought here on retrobike), a black XT-post, a syncros stem (or the original velocity), a red or black flite or a grey turbo, grey Mavic 618 rims and old continental tires with a brown wall.
The finished bike is in my mind already and I'll see, whether this or that part doesn't suit. The "right" year of the used parts isn't too important for me, just the look and the personal emotions and memories associated with them...

So, enough words, here are some pictures.

I'll like to thank some guys (Ernie, charlieboy28...) here on retrobike, who supported me a lot and agreed to manage the shipping of the bike to austria. You are great!

See you, stoppi

Attachments

• Kona_Cinder_Cone_09.jpg
    Kona_Cinder_Cone_09.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 3,990
  • Shimano_XT_737_02.jpg
    Shimano_XT_737_02.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 3,990
Nice project. That year of XT is my favourite and can't wait to see the finished bike. Good luck with the build.

Cheers

Matt

:D :D glad to see we have a new member of the "Austrian Kona Owners Club"..hope your grandmother likes her new surroundings.. I am really happy for you my friend ;)

The condition of the frame looks very good :D

From your favourite mate in Plymouth ;)

Ernie ;)

oooh looking forward to this :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

although that minty rear mech, (that i just so happened to have been looking for for my build) really isnt going to work on that bike, tell you what as a favour will take it off your hands ;) ;)

keep us posted stoppi, and we dont want to wait 10 years for updates ;)

Hello everybody!

When you hear, what I've paid for the complete XT-group, you'll pass out.

It was around 45 pounds :D

Ad Charlie: If I see a cheap and minty rear mech, I'll contact you.

At the moment I'm assembling the wheels, that you don't have to wait 10 years...

Best wishes, stoppi

Have you tried the Suntours stuff? Everything apart from the X-Press Shifters (easily cured with a set of XC-Pro thumbies) is really good.
I'd save the XT stuff for something more appropriate.
If you want to sell the crankset, PM me though.

Carl.

...and I'd be very easily tempted to buy the brake levers off you. XC comps were some the best levers of the time. Light, and comfortable. Don't suppose you also have some xc comp pedals ?

Short report:

I've built up the wheels and the rear mech. The suntour-parts which are worth being used are just the Xpress shifters, the right crank, the front and rear mech and the brake levers. But I don't think, that the levers belong to the comp-group? I just can see the sticker "Suntour MULTI MOUNT" on them. I'm going to assembly them on my stumpjumper pro.

But if anyone is interested in the Sountour XCD-parts, just contact me.

Attachments

• Kona_Cinder_Cone_11.JPG
    Kona_Cinder_Cone_11.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 3,826
  • Suntour_Schalthebel_01.JPG
    Suntour_Schalthebel_01.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 3,826
Which Suntour bits do you have?

Nice build buy the way, I put XC Pro on mine after taking XT-II off.

Back