Zaskar polishing

retroman

Retro Guru
zaskar002.jpg

Just spent the last 2 hours polishing my new zaskar frame on the kitchen table until Mrs Retrowoman caught me. Off for a headset tomorrow to match my judy xlc s. Drew

retroman, looks cracking!

go on, what was the process and treatments used, and how long did it take?

hi sorry for the delay, as i said been in the garden all weekend. autosol is the best polish/restorer i ve found, put it on with a cloth let it turn black and then polish it of like hell with lots off that mysterious elbow grease stuff, hey presto 2 hours later its just like new.

cheers drew

retroman":2mxgcpn4 said:
autosol is the best polish/restorer i ve found

+1 Autosol !

Also use Tescos Value dusters, toothbrushes and q-tips for getting in all
the nooks and crannies (cheap as chips). Very satisfying.

PS what is the blue thing in the brake guide under top tube ?
I am having trouble with cable pulling through on mine (is this a fix).

erm not quite sure, looks like some sort of cable end cap thingy, to be honest i did nt give much thought to it been to busy collecting parts for the rebuild.

cheers drew

Zaskars frames are wonderful to polish because the alloy surface is nice and hard so it maintains a high mirror finish very well. Your frame looks great but you could easily take it to the next level if you are willing and have a polishing wheel.

I did my friends NRS as an experiment. The process starts with wet sanding from 600 to 800 to 1000 to 1500 to 2000 grit. Your bike looks pretty smooth so you could probably start at 1000 grit. After that I used a bench grinder with buffing wheels and buffed with fine compound and then red rouge super fine compound. At that point the mirror finish was there. I then just used mothers aluminum polish to stop oxidation and protect. After I used a product called liquid glass which is an automotive polish/sealer. It has not oxidized since.

IMG_3707.jpg

IMG_3700.jpg

Same process:
IMG_4685.jpg

Back