knackered Rear derailleur muddy fox courier

fredflintstone

Dirt Disciple
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Your link does not seem to work. However you should be looking ideally for one with same number of teeth on the jockey wheels, though in practice you can run 9 speed mechs on 8 speed cassettes and shifters and 8 speed mechs on 7 speed cassettes and shifters. Best to avoid the combination of older mechs with newer systems, and definitely a avoid mixing extremes such as 7 and 9 speed parts. Also avoid mixing SRAM mechs with shimano shifters and vice versa (they have different actuation ratios). You can use old suntours mechs with 7 speed shimano shifters I think, but only if you also have a shimano cassette (suntour cassettes had different spacings than shimano).
P.s you might get more responses under retro mtb chat. Might be an idea for the mods to move thus thread?

God no!

That thing is BSO type rubbish that will probably not work very well.

What Year Courier do you have?

Carl.

What mech is In the eBay thread? I cant get the link to work.

If you have a really old muddy fox with a 6 speed freewheel (don't think they had cassettes back then) then my guess is that you'd be ok with a 7 speed mech, but I honestly don't know as I never had a bike with that set up.

raymondluxuryyacht":ve6ovsis said:
What mech is In the eBay thread? I cant get the link to work.

Some Sunrace thing that looks like a bad copy of the Shimano SIS, it even has one of those steel hangers built in to attach to a frame without a mech hanger!

If it's an earlier Courier there is a 3040 Accushift Suntour on the bar at the moment which is the perfect period replacement and cheaper than the Sunrace i think.

Carl.

Eek !
Good call. Old suntour accushift should be ok if you have one of the older couriers (White one with yellow stickers?) Posting up a Pic of the thumbshifters on your bike may help confirm.

Thanks for the replies

I saw that one on ebay "SUNTOUR ACCUSHIFT DERAILLEUR FOR MUDDY FOX COURIER BIKE"

I couldn't count the teeth on the jockey wheels as I lost one of the wheels in the incident.

Anyhow, I decided to sell the bike "as it" as it deserves a better home and to be restored. And it would be pointless putting a non-original part on for no reason.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 59#1075659

Shame, because as a bike to get into town on the cycleways round here it was excellent.

Back