So, the bike is now stripped. It was during this time that I discovered the lower headset race was buggered and I spent a solid 5 minutes scrabbling around trying to locate the bearings that had all done a runner! I later replaced the bearings with some loose 1/4 inch ones from Nirvana Cycles
in Westcott, Surrey, (top LBS, well recommended) and replaced the upper race anyway.
I then removed the cassette, freehub and axle from the rear wheel ready for cleaning too. Pleasingly, the cones and bearings were all in pretty good condition.
With the bike now stripped, Operation Clean all the bits can begin. This bike needed it. Badly.
In the picture above I had already cleaned the cassette. This was just dunked and left in Fenwicks FS1 degreaser for a good 10 minutes. Anyone needing a good cleaner - I cannot recommend it enough. Just make it really weak if you want to clean paintwork and don't leave it on the paint for long!