Right then, with Operation Clean all the bits underway, it was high time to start replacing some of the bits that were either showing age, neglect, or a combination of both. First up, a nice new NOS Shimano LX front mech (no idea what model number, sorry!).
Then, to replace the GripShift were some Deore DX thumbies because, personally, I hate GripShift!
Again, I apologise for the quality of the pictures, I really am not an iPhone camera fan, but this is what I used for the shots during the build, I didn't want to damage the Sony camera or get it dirty
Next job was to replace the Kalloy stem that someone had fitted in place of the original Velocity stem. IMHO, to replace the stem on this bike with the Kalloy effort it came with should be a criminal offence. Big thanks to thefunkymunki
for sorting me out with an original unit.
I also replaced the bottom bracket too with a Shimano unit to get the pedals turning all smoothly again.
By this point, the cleaning was well underway and really almost done. I was particularly pleased with how well the front rings turned out after a good wash in the Fenwicks.
So, it is now time to start rebuilding it!