1997 Bontrager Privateer S Utter shed project bike!

johnnystorm

Dirt Disciple
*Big thanks to Drencrom for ID'ing this as a '97 and linking to the brochure PDF*

Hi Guys,

As I mentioned in my other posts here is my recently acquired shed of a Privateer. Bought on a whim without planning I've partially realised a dream with this clapped out steed.

Not much orginal left and I rode it around the block once before pulling off the motley collection of parts on it.

I'm at a loss as to how to get the forks out. Do Chris King NoThreadset's hold the forks or are they rusted in? The seat post also looks like it's welded. Whats the nasty chemical that eats ally but leaves steel?

The plan is to get it powdercoated and re-stickered (Hi Gil!) and then slowly but surely under SWMBO's radar build it up as a project.

kgeyq.jpg

From the looks of it it's been dredged from a canal. Hopefully by throwing everything away I can rescue the frame. :roll:

Massive shame about those wheels, they're pretty rare to say the least :(

Saying that I hope that you can salvage her...you'll be well rewarded as these frames are so sweet to ride! Good luck :)

johnnystorm":cw025oea said:
*Big thanks to Drencrom for ID'ing this as a '97 and linking to the brochure PDF*

No worries mate, let's hope you get it back out there on the trails - they ride brilliantly. I was seriously looking at getting a Privateer S for the other half last year when one popped up on eBay to match my Bonty, but it just seemed a bit of a naff idea in the end, it'd be like matching waterproofs!

Any ideas on a colour for the new paint job?

Back