1994 Saracen Kili Comp

dr_gn

Dirt Disciple
Here's a bike I built up for the missus (she's used it about twice). It's a Saracen Kili Comp from about 1994. Bought the frame from a friend (he had it repainted becasue he hated the original purple colour).

Current spec. is:

Forks: Pace RC-35 Monobox (elastomer, c.1995)
Brakes: F: Hope Hydro 155mm, R: Hope Hydro 155mm with torque arm (1997)
Hubs: Hope Titanium
Rims: Mavic X317 DISC
Seatpost: USE Aluminium
Bars: Easton EA30
Grips: ODI Lock-On
Seat: WTB
Chainset: Shimano LX
Pedals: DMR V-8
Front Mech: Shimano XT
Rear Mech: Shimano LX short cage
Shifters: SACHS Gripshift
Cables: Avid Flack Jackets

Weight: c. 28lbs

(Edited to change date of frame manufacture)

Attachments

• E.JPG
    E.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 2,966
  • D.JPG
    D.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 2,966
  • B.JPG
    B.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 2,966
  • A.JPG
    A.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 2,966
I like that, apart from the high-rise stem looking a bit goofy (would of gone for a 0º myself). How did you mount a rear disc brake btw?

porkypaw":11mau4kh said:
I like it. :cool:
I think your friends colour choice was spot on sets it off great.
Lucky missis.

Thanks! I like it too. Unfortunately it's not the best paint job. I think it's cellulose. Powder coating might have been better, or at least 2K.

Not sure whether to keep it or get rid of it (the bike). The missus will probably end up with my old Mount Vision ( http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=141961 ). That's if she ever decides to go biking again...

That's the first time I've seen you mount vision, looks like your missis may be getting even luckier... Its' a belter!
You won't have any problem selling the saracen if you decide to let it go.

otherself":1uihqawr said:
I like that, apart from the high-rise stem looking a bit goofy (would of gone for a 0º myself). How did you mount a rear disc brake btw?

It's a Hope Hydro universal mount: One caliper half has an extension on it that clamps to the rear dropout. The clamp forms a secondary dropout, and the shortened axle of a special Hope Ti hub fits into it. You then put a skewer through the lot. It needs something to prevent the whole thing turning around the axle centreline, hence the torque rod. Works very well.

The stem does indeed look rubbish. IIRC it was a combination of the steerer tube for the RC-35's not being long enough for spacers and the missus having long legs. Having said that, given the choice, I'd go for a goofy stem over shorter wife legs any day of the week.

On yep...there's a bonus CogHog in the pic below!

Attachments

• P1130192.JPG
    P1130192.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 2,878
porkypaw":2s82kw5w said:
That's the first time I've seen you mount vision, looks like your missis may be getting even luckier... Its' a belter!
You won't have any problem selling the saracen if you decide to let it go.

Must admit, no idea about how much either are worth, and having read the drastic warnings about asking for 'offers' on the other forum (and not really wanting to get involved in EBay), I decided to just post the pics here and keep the bikes for a rainy day. It's not like they owe me anything!

Cheers.

Near the top of the retro MTB chat forum is a thread "how much is my xyz worth?"
You could post in there if you want a general price guide on what other members think the value might be.
But yeah it won't take up much room to store. I don't mind selling most stuff I have except my bikes ............and the wife. :)

porkypaw":kjx0zwf9 said:
Near the top of the retro MTB chat forum is a thread "how much is my xyz worth?"
You could post in there if you want a general price guide on what other members think the value might be.
But yeah it won't take up much room to store. I don't mind selling most stuff I have except my bikes ............and the wife. :)

Ahhh great: found it. Thanks for that. I'll stick them in there and see what folks think. You never know...might even be tempted out of keeping them!

Original would be a 1994 I think, same as the one in my signature. The purple was a classic colour! :LOL:

Back