Muddy Fox Monarch Pro 1993/4 - Much Purpleness Update

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Bit of a strange one this .....

Was thinning out the bikes but decided that I needed something to hang my spare bits on :oops: :roll: enter the Muddy Fox Monarch Pro frame (many thanks Alex :cool: )

I cannot find much/anything on 90's MF's :?

The serial number has both a 93 & 94 in it soooo I am guessing its probably a 1993 or 1994 ;-)

Frame arrived last week and its well made, light and in really good nick.

Double butted non specific tubes that I believe may be Fuji tubing but cannot be sure either way.

The tubes have a really nice ping to them and for a 21'' frame its as light as my Kili frame I recently had.

Added bonus that the frame came with whats looks to have been original UN91 bottom bracket.

Build will be what I have in the shed :D

Only pic I have at the moment is this one

➡️

dsc00395_120.jpg

The bike is nearly built so more pics in a bit :)

➡️ Quick edit ....

After copious amounts of digging I have revealed very little :roll:

Seems that the "monach" model was available in several guises .... Pro, Team, Sport etc

I have a review from 1997 of a MF Monach Sport. The bike has a canti noodle but its on the otherside of the seat tube :? despite its low lost and spec it gets a good write up getting 4/5 and being the lightest on test :cool:

I have a couple of pics from google :

The first is a 1994 Sport model:

KGrHqIOKiE1yNv1GzJBNcnrnFMK_12-1.jpg

The second, whilst branded a Courier, has the same layout of cable stops etc:

gallery2.jpg

➡️ Update 01/04/11

Still a bit of tinkering to do but I have a trail ready bike :D

I will be using this as my second bike for MM or primary if its wet :LOL: :roll: :LOL:

Have tried to stick within a couple of years of 1994/5.

I really wanted to go with a suspension fork but casting my mind back to the mid 90's, elastomers etc now don't float my boat.

Fork is a Z2. Poor cosmetically but excellent functionally - Really like stripping these down and tinkering with them - an absolute piece of cake.

Drive chain is what I had spare. Primarily LX with a few XT bits used. Only the shifters are non period.

So for pics .....

➡️ Drive side - sadly my camera assistant managed to get in the shot :)

IMGP2034.jpg

➡️ Front on:

IMGP2042.jpg

Whilst the tubing is most generic it does have a lovely "ping" about it :cool: canti noodle thwarted my plans of v brakes .... thankfully for the better:

IMGP2044.jpg

➡️ No ££ to do much fancy so when I used the bolts from the LX cantis I had for my M900 brakes I needed to use a washer with these new bolts ..... out from the cupboard comes the Rimmel :oops: and a few minutes later metallic purple washers!

IMGP2047.jpg

➡️ My favorite headset with an uncommon 90mm stem - I think it will work well:

IMGP2045.jpg

➡️ Levers came to me with no shifter pods .... out came the hacksaw and files and I now have a nice set of levers to use - I do need new grips though:

IMGP2057.jpg

So thats it for now.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

➡️ Update 04/06/2011

Whilst I was taking pics of the CK I thought it worth an update on this chappy :D

Made a few changes to the pics above but sticking with the budgetish theme.

Really enjoying riding it - It will be my main bike for mayhem :shock:

Anyhoo pics ....

IMGP2170.jpg

IMGP2168.jpg

IMGP2167.jpg

A big thank you to Gil_M for some smashing decals :cool: :cool: :cool:

So then what do you think?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

➡️ A little update ........

After Mountain Mayhem last year This build was broken down primarily for space reasons.

Most of the parts were sold on but the frame remained hanging in the garage :(

I spotted the purple Onza Mongo on eBay and jumped and thats what has kicked back off the build :roll:

Not sure which direction to go.

Plan is to use what I already have parts wise so I am sure its not going to be to everyones taste.

This is where I am to date:

racer x":347hyk43 said:
Thats really nice mate are you building it with shimano XTR M900 & XT very nice looking frame mate
:cool:

It will be what I have for the moment - so M737/9.

Hadn't planned to go with more M900 but I think it may deserve it :roll: :LOL:

After a degrease the frame came up really nice.

Almost a titanium grey with very little patina.

Got some purple/3DV that goes really well with the decals

:D

I am feeling the love for your MF :D looks like a really nice frame.

Like what you've done with it too - nice mix of stuff and colour.

How does it ride?

nevadasmith":7ktowuqj said:
I am feeling the love for your MF :D looks like a really nice frame.

Like what you've done with it too - nice mix of stuff and colour.

How does it ride?

Its rides surprisingly well for a slapdash build :oops:

Needs a longer stem as it is a bit twitchey and the front hub needs a rebuild, apart from that its ready for mayhem :)

Back