..look forward hearing how it handles
So took it out last night for a 20ish Mile blast around the Chilterns with a mate; cracking evening.. Anyways, it was eventful so I'll serialize..
1. Took the lead on the first decent, no braking, heavy in to the final two turns before the farm road.. Thought "that doesn't feel right", looked back, puncture.. Swapped out the latex tube for a regular butyl one I had with me..
2. Took the lead in another downhill section, loose topsoil switchback obscured by a bush/branch, went waaaay too fast into a downhill righthander that left me late braking heavy.. Rear wheel off ground.. Trying to steer right.. Tree on left.. Rear of bike swinging towards the tree.. Had visions of One Written Off Billy.. Pulled it in by steering out of the corner, but only just.. Must have been millimeters..
3. Had several instances where Rear Tyre just didn't wanna play ball.. Once it had locked up, there was no resistance and had a tendency to slide out, felt like I was 12 and back on a BMX! Made for an exhilirating ride, and kept me awake.. Front tyre washed out once too, snapped that one back..
4. Downhilling was great fun.. The rear shock performed perfectly [it wants to for $300..] and the thing felt so low to the ground it was sweet.. There was a 18" drop at one point which the Billy flew down, loved it.. And gully running was sweeeet..
5. Uphill the rear end stayed down and dug in, he's a great climber.. Need about ten degrees in the stem ideally..
Overall, the Billy was awesome.. If I'da ridden my Mojo SL on the same route, I woulda gotten back to the car less fatigued maybe, but hanging on for dear life, trusting sketchy tyres, being so low to the ground..? Made the ride totally worth it.. It was much more fun
than I was expecting, and that is what we ride for.. The Billy is a Kepper
Halfway at the Five Horseshoes..
Back to the car, just made the Last of the Light..
What I'll be changing
Stem: Will get a 130mm x 10deg
Tyres & Tubes: Might slip the later ['99, non period correct] UST Crossmax SLs with UST Scorpions
Fork: Toying with the idea of spraying up some SIDs in the same red, add a canti cable hanger..