Kona Kilhauea Rejuvenation

Fucawi

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
It's all your fault!!!

I buzzed by this forum in December to see what I could expect to get for my Kilhauea frame and other bits and then because of you lot, I end up putting it all back together........

The bike is used daily, but I wanted it to retain some of it's retro feel. The first iteration used a set of threaded forks and my trusty Syncros Cattleprod stem, but after 15 miles my lower back was killing me and I realised that the middle age spread had done just that and that I wasn't 21 any more, so I needed to improve the riding position if I was going to use it. Found a Cattlehead stem that needed work doing on it and restored it to it's former glory. Modified a set of newer Project 2s to correct the geometry, got them sprayed and a set of Gil's decals clear lacquered into place. Shuffled the groupset about and the spec is as below:

1994 Kona Kilhauea Frame & P2 forks
Shimano M739 Hubs
Shimano M739 V Brakes
Shimano M739 STi Levers
Shimano M739 Rear mech
Shimano M539 Front mech
M-Part headset (temporary until I get a job!)
USE Black seatpin
Syncros Cattlehead 130mm @ 15deg stem
PACE Renthall RC+130 Titanium bars
Shimano UN72 BB
Middleburn RS3 170mm cranks with hardcoat rings
Lizardskins grips
Sella Flite Titanium & Kevlar seat
Mavic 217 SUP rims
Ritchey Megabite Z-Max tyres

I did think about respraying the frame and got the stickers to replace the old ones, but once it was trial built I decided that the used look is what I wanted. It isn't a purist build as it works for a living and the choices made for components were based around stuff available at the time.

It had a set of Rock Shox Judy XCs on when I first used it and then I put a set of SID SLs on, but they were too long and messed up the geometry. For the rebuild, I wanted to go back to a rigid setup and am loving it! I have a full suspension bike to use as a trampoline, but it is nowhere as quick as this.

The two changes I will make as funds allow are to get a Chris King headset and try a set of Easton Carbon Lo-Rise Monkey Bars on it, if I can get then through the stem.

So thank you people for the parts supply, the tech support, but most of all for the renewed appreciation of they wonderful bikes.

Attachments

• Kona 1.jpg
    Kona 1.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 619
  • Kona 2.jpg
    Kona 2.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 619
Nice, that has a nice crisp look to it. What size are the Middleburn cranks? I'm really liking them, 110 or 94 bcd?

Back