Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:41 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:37 pm 
West Midlands Deputy AEC
West Midlands Deputy AEC

There's something I really like about this bike - great job - looks better with the conti tyres IMO. Also I prefer normal spokes to anything fancy but that just personal taste ;)

You have a m730 U Brake, the later XTII had a brace on it that stiffens things up a touch, (your Zaskar would have had one of these BITD), maybe add one of these on your list too - you will get the same for your m730 as it'll cost you for a new one.

A pair of black Pauls canti levers would look the dogs with your gear levers too. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:57 pm 
Retro Guru

nevadasmith wrote:
There's something I really like about this bike - great job - looks better with the conti tyres IMO. Also I prefer normal spokes to anything fancy but that just personal taste ;)

You have a m730 U Brake, the later XTII had a brace on it that stiffens things up a touch, (your Zaskar would have had one of these BITD), maybe add one of these on your list too - you will get the same for your m730 as it'll cost you for a new one.

A pair of black Pauls canti levers would look the dogs with your gear levers too. :D

I'm liking these ideas sir. :)
I've seen the XTII U Brake but didn't know what the difference was. Right I shall look for an XTII U and some Paul Canti Levers (because they look divine!!!) :shock: 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:32 pm 
Retro Guru

keithb wrote:
nevadasmith wrote:

I'm liking these ideas sir. :)
I've seen the XTII U Brake but didn't know what the difference was. Right I shall look for an XTII U and some Paul Canti Levers (because they look divine!!!) :shock: 8)

I LOVE Paul's levers. I just got some 3DV for my Dolomite and it made all the difference in the world for braking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:33 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

I put Love Levers on that frame when I had it. You can't go wrong with them! 8)

Post subject: Zaskar
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:13 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Lovely frame, but lose all the modern garbage please, 'tis blasphemy of the highest order, Chainset in particular, look for a nice set of 8 speed thumbies and some retro tyres, stem is too skinny, needs a Kore, and an original flite to finish!

Post subject: Re: Zaskar
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:52 am 
Retro Guru

Wold Ranger wrote:
Lovely frame, but lose all the modern garbage please, 'tis blasphemy of the highest order, Chainset in particular, look for a nice set of 8 speed thumbies and some retro tyres, stem is too skinny, needs a Kore, and an original flite to finish!

Nah I really like the 'modern garbage' because it works :D :lol:
The stem is a GT period correct isn't it?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:12 am 
Retro Guru

keithb wrote:

It is indeed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:39 pm 
Retro Guru

Drencrom wrote:
keithb wrote:

It is indeed.

well.....close... back in 91 92 it was flip flop quills...but this is splitting hairs :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:07 pm 
Retro Guru

merckx wrote:
Drencrom wrote:
keithb wrote:

It is indeed.

well.....close... back in 91 92 it was flip flop quills...but this is splitting hairs :)

:D

Post subject: Stem
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:36 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Stem is indeed nearly period correct er if it were a steel frame that is, but Kore is the correct choice for a Zaskar.
As for modern parts working, they do, but not for very long! They are also heavy and very Ugly in the extreme, modern BB's will only last a tenth of a Shimano Sq taper at best, I'm not trying to rubbish the build, just feel you would get so much more out of it with full on retro!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next