My '92 GT Zaskar - 20/09/12 update.

keithb

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello,

I've wanted a Ball Burnished Zaskar for about 19 years. I remember seeing one in my local LBS when I was but a mere whipper snapper, and knowing that 'one day I will have one of those' :D.
So 19 years later and I have one. Well I have the start of one, and it is a very good start. :shock: :cool:

IMG_0988.jpg

My new purchase may look very familiar and so it should as it used to belong to a very nice chap in the US. Here it is in a previous life;
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... c&start=15
I had a hunch that this Zaskar was in very good order, but when it arrived today I discovered it was in absolutely mint condition. My work mates thought it was a new frame! :D

Anyway Mikes previous build was pretty much perfect for this type of GT. So I'm going to take it in a slightly different direction, not crazy like my Bontrager but definitely different. I'm sure some people might hate what I build but I'm sure most people will like it a bit ;).

Also this will NEVER see dirt, I will only ever use it in the sun for social cruise rides to the pub/picnic etc. :) Yeah I intend to ponce around on it.

Anyway here is my first purchase and another blatant frame money shot...its just so lovely I can't stop looking at it. I also collared the nearly new XT U brake which like the frame is also mint.

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

By the way this build might take a while as my forth coming wedding is using up all of my bike part purchase tokens! AND some initial parts will be placeholders until I can afford the bits I really want.

its possibly the most mint 92 frame around, it is a good one for sure. i have been hitting the trails solid for a month now on mine now that it is finished, shame you aren't planning on getting it dirty, they are a great singletrack bike. no matter, your bike, your call. look forward to seeing your build progress, nice stem too!

I knew that frame looked familiar. This build will be a tall order, Mike had it dialed. I am interested to see the direction you take it.

ez054098":10qm271q said:
I knew that frame looked familiar. This build will be a tall order, Mike had it dialed. I am interested to see the direction you take it.

:) yeah I'm not looking to peak Mikes previous build as it was just far too awesome. :D :cool:

Great start - love the '92 tech shop colours.

Mike did a great job with it, you will too :D

Bet you won't resist the odd foray off road?!

Same as I had, think they are one of the nicest models with U-brake and these kind of decals.

Cheers
Martin

great that you wanted a frame like this for so long. Enjoy building it, I know I'll enjoy following this thread!

The build the previous owner did was epic and now we get to see another come together :D

Got yourself a brilliant frame there mate !

Back