SALSA A LA CARTE - The Rasta Rides Again...... Finally !!!

richardpaulbaker

Devout Dirtbag
Feedback
View
Hi, I posted pics of this bike about 18 months ago after it had it's seat tube replaced. Some of you may remember. It's a 1991 Salsa A La Carte (SM517) which I have owned since new. When I last posted it, it was plain white and general opinion was that the rasta paint should go back on. Well I've spent the last year working on that idea and creating new decals for it. I'm a designer by trade and I've labouriously redrawn the decal artwork ( I challenge anyone to find an original Colombus Cromor OR sticker anywhere on God's earth!!!) Made my own stickers and painted the Rastas back on in the best stylie I could, then clear lacquer over everything. It's by no way a retro build but there are a few choice parts on there. The frame is 91 , the forks are 97 ( with a bit of a new paint job!), the BB is Mavic 92, the cranks are Grafton Mk I 92, front mech is Deore LX about 93, saddle around 96. All in I like to think of it as a SALSA A LA CARTE 91 Evolution Special Edition !!! With all the modern gears etc that's on it, it will give any modern hardtail a run for it's money. That's saying something for a 20 year old frameset !!
Cheers
Rich

Attachments

• P3124069.jpg
    P3124069.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 3,206
  • P3124074.jpg
    P3124074.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 3,206
  • P3124070.jpg
    P3124070.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 3,205
  • P3124071.jpg
    P3124071.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 3,205
I absolutley love that :cool: beautiful :)

the frame looks like new, well done.

Very nice, apart from the white seat post, which I think is a bit much white. But that's just me.
And if you're making anymore stickers, please let me know. Mine have seen better days.

Hi, KiwiJohn - regarding stickers. What sort did you have in mind? I've only drawn up artwork for this bike so I've only got Salsa and Rock Shox. They are water slide decals, like a model maker would use. They need to be fixed under a clear lacquer. I used Plastikote Gloss Clear Projekt Paint which is an air hardening paint. I don't know what would happen to the stickers if they were used on a job where the clear coat was baked on?

That is quite lovely... :cool:

Quick q. about the Plastikote Gloss Clear Projekt Paint.. did you just cover the area with the transfer or the whole frame?

The clear coat is over the entire frame and forks, at least 3 coats. The finish is pretty good. The white paint was professionally applied by Bob Jackson Cycles, who did the seat tube repair. The 'Rasta Flags' were applied using Humbrol modellers paints. I was lucky that everything was compatible. I tested on a small area under the chainstays first. One thing about the clear coat is that you need to apply it somewhere where the temperature is at least room temp as it can tend to wrinkle a bit between coats if it's too cold.

Back