Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:49 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:40 pm 
98+ BoTM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner

That's outstanding! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:26 pm 
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

rumpfy wrote:
Archangel wrote:
Thanks! I think there are many at least as good or better builders here - take Jez, Rumpfy and Carsten for example... But thank you for the compliments anyway! :D

I don't know man...relooking at those pictures....really top notch work.
A full Suntour build is much more difficult to pull off than a full Shimano build.

I would have to agree with that statement...especially NOS.

Archangel wrote:
Thanks to Mr. Inigo Montoya (cheers Philip!), I was able to change a good project to a perfect one:
- Specialized Biotomic grips (NOS)
- Specialized BXL21 rims (NOS)

and then I also found a Suntour XC Pro GG bottom bracket (NOS) for it.
Now the bike is just as it would have been when bought in 1991.
Even the inner tubes and rim tapes are Specialized!

Image Image Image

The weight is quite respectable 10.53kg bone stock. So getting well under 10kg is not a tough feat at all.

Image Image Image Image

You can bet I'm really happy right now! :D

:shock: :shock: This definitely tops it off...amazing. May I ask how long in total it took to source all the parts. I would also want to ask total cost, but that would be rude :oops:

I just find it so much more costly to put a bike together like this piece by piece. I've actually bought entire bikes just for one part :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:48 pm 
BoTM Winner | Feature Bike | Gold Trader

GoldenEraMTB wrote:

:shock: :shock: This definitely tops it off...amazing. May I ask how long in total it took to source all the parts. I would also want to ask total cost, but that would be rude :oops:

I just find it so much more costly to put a bike together like this piece by piece. I've actually bought entire bikes just for one part :?

Thanks mate!
It took me a little over 2 years to find everything. One would expect that Specialized parts would be easy to find but they were anything but! It seems that NOS XC Pro parts command almost as high prices than XTR M900.

I agree that it is much cheaper to buy the whole bike compared to building one from frame up. This is not my most expensive project at all since I got the frameset quite cheap (the seller didn't know what he had).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:03 pm 
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Archangel wrote:
Thanks mate!
It took me a little over 2 years to find everything. One would expect that Specialized parts would be easy to find but they were anything but! It seems that NOS XC Pro parts command almost as high prices than XTR M900.

I agree that it is much cheaper to buy the whole bike compared to building one from frame up. This is not my most expensive project at all since I got the frameset quite cheap (the seller didn't know what he had).

No, I know how difficult they, ( NOS Specialized parts), are to find. Perhaps it's because most specialized parts were put to purposeful use, (not babied), and therefore not readily avialable in good condition. But that's just a theory, of which I'm sure there are better ones.

and yes, NOS Pro XC, can be as pricey as M900, and I've seen them even go higher, since they are not as readily available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:54 am 
Old School Grand Master

I amazed by the difference the rims make. Not a fan of Specialized but that is a special, special bike. Very well done!

Post subject: epic
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:22 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Great bike,

The one in the specialized 25yr of the stumpy looks different to that one though?

Was there two versions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:07 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

....fantastic to see......great job......

Post subject: Re: epic
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:42 am 

epic2008 wrote:
Great bike,

The one in the specialized 25yr of the stumpy looks different to that one though?

Was there two versions?

Yeah, the one in the book is the normal Epic with steel lugs. This one is the Ultimate with titanium lugs.

Ned Overend raced an Ultimate with the same paintjob/decals as in the steel lugged model. Why they chose to do the decals this way is beyond me. Probably because the Ultimates were super expensive so more people could obtain a "team replica" by buying the steel lugged one and still get the same looks as Ned's bike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:50 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Wicked, one of my favourites on here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:12 pm 
Retro Guru

WOW.. :shock: :shock:
What a great built !! It's nice to see somebody uses the best parts on the market in that time (at least, I think so): Suntour in stead of Shimano. That makes it an extra plus I think.

What kind of stem did you put on ? It looks a bit more vintage than the rest of the bike or is that just what I'm thinking..?

I realy like this one. Vintage to the bone !! Even the inner tubes are !! Realy great. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next