1991 Specialized EPIC ULTIMATE - Build 100% complete!

Archangel

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi friends,

I thought to show you my '91 Epic Ultimate, the crown jewel of my collection!

I'm still looking for some parts for it, namely Specialized Team handlebar & Ground Control Extreme 1.95" tyre but otherwise I consider it completed...
Still, already in this setup it's quite nice with all the NOS parts in it. Especially proud I am of the rare Interloc seatpost.
;)

This baby is equipped with Suntour XC Pro with some updates.
epic1-1.jpg

The top Specializeds used Dia-Compe 986 brakes in 1991.
epic2.jpg

Suntour parts make up the controls too. Titec bar will be replaced with correct Specialized one as soon as I get my greedy hands on one ;)
epic3.jpg

NOS parts all around here :cool: Bottom bracket is not XC Pro but Specialized DirectDrive Titanium.
epic4.jpg

Some sweet titanium lugs and carbon fiber tubes here...
epic5.jpg

That's a clean cassette!
epic6.jpg

Yes, Ned won the 1st MTB Worlds in 1990 with the frame like this...
epic7.jpg

Carbon Fiber tubes with Titanium lugs from Merlin Metalworks. It doesn't get much better than that!
epic8.jpg

And lastly, the Brothers-in-Arms:
epic9.jpg

Brusque has one of this frame !
I think that the suntour XC pro will give him ideas ! :D :shock: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Great looking bike... love the Suntour setup too! That was really cool stuff back then, too bad they dissappeared from the scene.

Closest I ever came to one of these was touching the frame of one standing in the bike shop back in 1991 ready to be picked up (one of only 12 imported to Holland they told me). I ended up with my Stumpjumper FS hehe :)

Getting better...now with NOS Turbo seat, XC Pro QRs, Specialized handlebar and NOS Ground Control Extreme tires.
I will have NOS Dia-Compe 986s coming from the States to replace the current ones. BTW: Should I use the silver brake arms or black ones (originally had black) ?

The current Shimano HG90 chain will be replaced with NOS Suntour XC Pro chain and the black XTR shifter cables with some silver ones... Cable outers are already Suntour Accushifts.

epic10.jpg

epic11.jpg

That is a fantastic build! :shock:
Very nice indeed. Always admired these Speccy bikes from afar.
Amazing amount of NOS stuff.

Back