Alpinestars Cro-Mega LX (sort of!)

martinjonstone

Dirt Disciple
I've been working hard on my first project, and thought I'd give you guys an update to see what you think.

As a kid all I ever wanted was a 1990 Cro-Mega LX in bright pink (the yellow never quite did it for me!) but never had the funds. Anyway, a quick search while reminiscing a while back led me to this site, and I was inspired to have a bash at restoring one. The closest I could find for sale was this battered Alpine LX, which wasn't ideal, with slightly different geometry and forks, but I'm not one to let details get in the way!

P1010830.JPG

Before stripping down I spent many hours tracing the graphics (inspired by a thread on Sinett177s Alpinestars) , and many more on a graphics package transforming from Alpine to Cro-Mega.

P1010833.JPG

Then the hard graft started, stripping down, plenty of Framesaver, Krust, and filler applied.

P1010835.JPG

P1010842.JPG

With all the filler and fluro colours, this had got to be a spray at home job, but should be ok as I'm planning to use this as a very cool commuter! So next up was a generous helping of filler primer.

P1010849.JPG

Once sanded back, that classic day-glo scheme could be applied.

P1020001.JPG

In the meantime, Gil_m had done a fantstic job on the decals, which could then be applied.

P1020007.JPG

As you can see, no stone was left unturned on the decals...

P1020009.JPG

Hope you like it so far, next up is a coat of lacquer to get that shine before I start building the bike, watch this space....

Wow, an amazing transformation, :cool: :cool:

Kinda torn myself as the AlpineX is sooooooo rare I'd have restored it as one of them personally, with the drop bars and all, but your bike, your choice and a lovely job so far... :cool: :)

I am very impressed. Interested to find out how the lacquer over Gils decals works out. At least you finished yours faster than sinnett177's

Cheers fellas,

Steve - noted about the AlpineX - I have kept a full trace of the original decals, so if I get hold of a genuine Cro-Mega in future, this will be returned to its rightful guise :eek:

What a fantastic effort. I know first hand how painstaking tracing the decals is, so can appreciate how much effort you've put in there. Great work, so pleased Gil now has these on file now also.

Really good job this. I love threads that detail the full resto process and wish I could get round to doing a proper one.

Think GT-Steve's selling a CroMega similar to the one you want ;)

Latest posts

Back