1992 GT Tequesta - wreck rescue!

MiniNinjaRob

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
So here it is, first pics.
Bought from a CashConverters for £40. Right size for me too!
Anyway, I got it and after a detailed look I've now realised its ruined BUT the frame, forks and stem are in good nick with good decals and paint. Cranks and mechs are ok, maybe the post but everything else is ruined.
Bit depressed about it because I don't have much money and was hoping it'd be a quick job to sort but it won't be. :cry:
Anyway, I want to make it the same as the same bike I had in 1993, not original spec or loads of bling. I'm going to be quite anal about it but as the budget is already ruined it may take years... :(

Pics:
1839eecc.jpg

bb4d8fa7.jpg

22999fde.jpg

fc7dc210.jpg

8a7164e9.jpg

6f384a8c.jpg

499a527d.jpg

164bec09.jpg

d8774b6c.jpg

e40d2401.jpg

f08645bb.jpg

8f9c57c0.jpg

U brake looks ok apart from the pads? If frame, stem, rear brake and forks are ok thats a good start for £40.

I know your budget is blown for moment, but keep looking as there are bargains to be had on the for sale section and ebay (yes really) if you arent in a hurry. I have the same problem building my kili and i'm just sorting bits slowly as and when a good deal turns up.

Least you can have fun stripping it and getting it ready. Looks like a great project, especially as its what you had before.

Agree the rear mech looks fine. Probably just needs a clean and new jockeys. Could probably repaint the cranks or sand'em back to metal and polish them. Bottom bracket looks to be toast. Any idea what size axle it is ? I'm guessing from the era that this might be a 122mm axle. A new cartridge bearing one (un54) will cost you about £17.
Those handlebars and shifters look nasty, so I wouldn't be too upset about losing those. If that u-brake is not salvageable there was someone on here (with a marin muirwoods) who found a modern-ish diacompe replacement that is aimed at bmxs and works just fine.

Konadad has the correct set of Mountain/Deore LX Cantis for sale for £4 for all four ;)

Carl.

Might have some bits I can give you to get it up and running. What parts do you think are stuffed?

Airevalley is one of my local shops so I probably saw this when it was new! :cool: :cool:

Thanks everyone.
I have an AD990 u brake in my spares bin BUT the only thing I need for the one on the bike is the little plastic cover.

that looks okay for £40 strip and clean ,new cables and a chain
repaint the bars and it'd be respectable , step 2 shifters and front cantis
and your done
iv'e got a92 timberline in similar state , need to dig it out and get on with it

Rear wheel is non-original and the hub is a screw on one and is mega rough, needs binning. Front wheel may be the same, not sure yet until I strip it. Handlebars are well gone and I'd rather walk than use those shifters/levers!
It'll be ok...... :)

the back wheel on mine has been changed too
mines a daktari white one
will get some pics done soon

Hang in there !
It's amazing what a clean and strip down will do to old parts.

Suggest you get it working with cheap/modern parts for now and
then pick up period parts in slow time (and for a good price as and
when).

On an extremely limited budget I've gone from this
17211452-1-1.jpg

To this.
12140723.jpg

Plan to make it more period at a later stage.
(Decals are testers at the mo!)

Back