Cracked Trek 8000

Matt_K

Retro Newbie
Hi Guys,

Just introduced myself in the intro thread so i thought i'd launch straight into the 'hurdle' in my project.

Just bought a Trek 8000 and discovered the seat tube is cracked above the bottom bracket.

I've done plenty of searching on bonded alu frames and get everything from "It's just the paint it'll be fine" to "Too dangerous, bin it" and one guy even suggested super glue!

I don't have a LBS that i trust tio know what they're talking about so i was hoping you guys could take a look and perhaps offer some advice.

Cheers
Matt

main.php

Those frames IIRC used a plug type lug, the aluminuim lug is covered in glue and shoved up the tube (more or less).

The crack looks to be at the interface, I would be very wary of using it like that, it could be that there is a fracture in the plug, in which case the whole lot could come adrift.

I would take it to a reputable frame builder and let them look, Argos in Bristol are Trek approved rebuilders and may have a suggestion.

I cannot think of any cheap way of fixing this though, it may just be a case of accepting it is now an expensive ornament. :(

I think what LGF is saying is it's buggered, I would be inclined to agree if the statement about the construction is correct :( .

Shame as they are one of the nicer Trek frames.

At least there is another for sale and you can always sell the components from the current one to fund the purchase.

Carl.

that ebay Trek's a nice bike. I may bid it myself... its near my work ... 3 Konas, 3 Specialized in the family .... why not 3 old Treks ;)

Trek's have a lifetime warranty on the frame... take it to a Trek dealer and see if they'll play ball?

if you get a new frame (or even a discount on one) sell it and buy another old one.

BG":1pu4xbmg said:
Trek's have a lifetime warranty on the frame... take it to a Trek dealer and see if they'll play ball?

if you get a new frame (or even a discount on one) sell it and buy another old one.

I thought that only applied on some frames and only to the original purchaser :?.
Still got to be worth a try though!

Matt_K":38a58c4s said:
Hi Guys,
Just introduced myself in the intro thread so i thought i'd launch straight into the 'hurdle' in my project.
Just bought a Trek 8000 and discovered the seat tube is cracked above the bottom bracket.
I've done plenty of searching on bonded alu frames and get everything from "It's just the paint it'll be fine" to "Too dangerous, bin it" and one guy even suggested super glue!
I don't have a LBS that i trust tio know what they're talking about so i was hoping you guys could take a look and perhaps offer some advice.
Cheers
Matt
main.php

From your picture it looks to be a very straight and un stress fracture like?
Might be worth getting it looked at by a professional frame builder for a 'grown up' view!
I'd X-ray the joint to see what's going on inside, but that's quite easy for me to do :D.
Alternatively a fibre optic camera down the seat tube might show you enough to make a judgement, many garages have them now to see inside engines etc., where you can't easily see :?:

Thanks for all the advice guys, I like the optic camera down the seat tube idea, i think i'll try that.

I've ridden it up and down the street, dropped off a few kerbs and there seems to be no more movement or paint cracking.

The bikes getting stripped next week, so i'll get to have a better look with the bb and seat post removed.

Of course the real decision is whether to remove the mint sauce sticker on the forks?

Back