My new Clockwork project

agentorange

rBotM Winner
I've owned a Clockwork since 1990 which I stupidly had repainted in 96, I posted a pic of it a while ago, it's in red P7 1996 livery tricked out with the usual RC35's, Syncros stem, Hyperlghts, Ringle etc, etc, it's nice & it's my baby but I look at it now & kind of wish it was all stock & original as it was when I bought it all those years ago.

So, in the meantime I've been amassing parts identical to the bike I bought in 1990. Today was the first chance I've had to put it together into a shape that resembles a bike. I still need the original seatpost, XT pedals, Hex grips plus a set of Specialized Ground Controls but here she is complete with zero-rise Stalk stem, XT/XTII mix, Turbo saddle, M231's, wide-profile XT canti's:-

clockwork.JPG

Looking good :cool: . Mine's almost done too - a '92 I think as although it has the b/b front mech routing it has no chainstay bridge - undecided about decals though (early style or block 92/93 style?) and need to get back in touch with Gil later this week. If you're still after an early seatpost (I searched everywhere for a 26.8 Ritchey with no luck but managed to pick up a short Syncros on ebay) - these folks . . . http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Retro-Bicycle-Supply have NOS Sakae TCOs in 26.8 - I've used them a couple of times with no problems.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Good to see someone going down the saem road, love to see some pics. I too am speaking to Gil for old style decals. I suggest we join forces here to comission him to do some, I have two Clockworks in need of decals. The seatpost is proving a bit of a problem, the bike in the pic has a 98 C16 post but it's not right, I need a black Avocet or just something black & period would look good. The wheels in the pic are the 92 DX wheels from my original Clockwork but I have some 91 XT hubs & some NOS Mavic 231's awaiting a rebuild. The bottom bracket that came with this frame isn't right, the rings scrape on the stays so I need a wider unit, UG73 or UG91 would be nice. The stem was my greatest find.

I'm still undecided whether I want the bike to look like a 1990 with XT components or a 92 (which it is) with XTII but I love the wide-profile cantis.

Again, love to hear more about your rebuild.

Only pics I have at the mo' are here which will be added to as I go along . . . here's a taster.

yomlux.jpg

Reckon I have most of the stuff ready now - it's gonna be a singlespeed build with cromoly oldschool BMX cranks (see my avatar) (bit of a crime I know for such a lightweight frame but I'm no weight-weenie ;) ). I managed to pick up a NOS Tange b/b set and used 127mm axle off ebay so fingers crossed the chainline and chainstay clearance will work out OK. Just picked up my chrome forks from the LBS as they needed an extra inch and a half of thread for such a tiny frame. Finishing kit will include butterscotch Psychos, gold chainring and headlock, orange brake outer and bottle cage (until I can pick up a gold Ringle and some hen's teeth) and Onza RAW bar ends. Bit of a mish-mash of years but as most of the stuff is late 80s/early 90s the early Clockwork decals should be perfect. I'll get back in touch with Gil this week and see if he can get some made up. The paint is a painstakingly executed rattle can job ;) - would love to have kept the original orange/white fade but figured that satin black would give a better finish. Hey, the fluoro orange pro respray can wait - project for the future I reckon.

Back