1993 Kona Lava Dome Restoration

davegt

Old School Hero
I have owned this bike since 1993 and was all original prior to the rebuild. The poor thing was destined for the skip many times and it very nearly made it a few times! I got back into biking about a year ago after a 12 year lay off and decided that I wanted to restore my Lava Dome to be riding perfectly but if I am honest she will be a garage queen. I dont ever intend to ride it again. I will just keep it forver and a day! I grew up on this bike and I will never sell it.

The biggest issue I had was deciding on a powdercoat rather than be faithful to the blue/silver fade. I went for a one off powdercoat, a really dark gun metal. It looks amazing in the flesh but I may strip it down again and get it painted in the original colours. They looked superb.

I have not posted photos successfully on here before so I hope they appear well below.

Also, I was never a massive tech/spec geek so I will give as much info on the components as posible. I hope you enjoy this, its been a labour of love this one!

Frame: 1993 Kona Lava Dome

Fork: Project 2

Headset: Kona Impact with new bearings
Stem: Kona Velocity
Handlebar: Kona
Grips: n/a
Barends: Identical replicas of the ones I had BITD

Brakes: Shimano Cantilevers
Brake Pads: Shimano
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers: Dia Compe SS5

Shifters: Shimano DX thumbies
Front Derailleur: circa 1992 DX
Rear Derailleur: circa 1993 XT
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Shimano HG??
Chain: Shimano HG
Cranks: Shimano Deore
Crank Bolts: n/a
Chainrings: n/a
Chainring bolts: n/a
Bottom Bracket: Shimano square taper
Pedals: Shimano XT SPD

Hub Skewers: Original
Rims: Bontrager BX1 and BX3
Hubs: Original
Nipples: n/a
Spokes: n/a
Tyres: Panaracer Cinder 2.1 or Bontrager
Tubes: n/a

Saddle: n/a
Seatpost: n/a
Seatpost Binder: n/a

Weight: Around 25lbs?

Thanks

Dave

DSC04178.jpg

Oh, big thanks to Gil_m for making a great job of the decals and PPS Glassfibre in Inverurie Aberdeenshire for the Powdercoat

DSC00142.jpg

DSC00143.jpg

DSC00145.jpg

Shame on you for ever even contemplating taking it to the skip! :LOL:
But well done on the resto, top qulaity job, paint looks fantastic

I am one of those people who enjoy the mechanical side of retrobikes. Getting a pile of bits and putting them together and riding. Never painted a frame yet.
But when I see a bike like yours it makes me want to do the job properly next time!
Enjoy riding it.

Chris99

I am not going to be riding that one......ever.

Purely sentimental value. Going to keep it forever and a day!

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Cheers

Dave

Back