Specialized Rockhopper 1997

superstu

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
My brother (coomber) showed me this site a couple of years ago now and I instantly loved it, seeing bikes I coveted bitd but had forgotten about.

Anyway, it wasn't long before he had got himself a project or two and he was keen for me to get going as well so he managed to source me a rockhopper frame a member was happy to karma.

I have had it lying around for a while to be honest, as I was happy resurrecting a Muni Mula (stolen in France, still heartbroken) and then found a Kona at the local skip http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

Anyway, time that this got the attention it deserved. I think this was one of the last steel frames of the rockhopper series although someone will in a minute to tell me otherwise (1999 perhaps?)

Pretty certain it is a 1997. I love retro steel bikes. I know its only a mid level bike but this was what my mates were riding/aspiring to when we poor little kids growing up. :LOL:

Anyway, all I have done so far is tidy it up, remove a stuck bottom bracket and removed outer cables that were stuck to the cable guides.

As can be seen there is some surface rust but this is nothing at all really, not penetrated in the slightest, just needs a good sand blast. I've sourced some parts already, but am considering single speeding it.

Son of strongarm cranks have been found, got some ameoba parts (stem/bars), STX v brakes, STX RC Wheels with mavi / araya rims.

Not sure what colour to respray it, probably classic red unless anyone has another suggestion?

rockhopperframefull.jpg

rockhopperbottom.jpg

rockhopperbb.jpg

rockhop.jpg

rockhopper2.jpg

Have assembled some cheap bombproof parts for a single speed hack - old school ameoba risers, son of strongarm cranks, planet x stem etc.

Getting it sprayed the rockhopper classic red colour next week, will be speaking to Gil_m for some decals and finding the final parts that I need. Can't wait to get it up and running now spring is here!

I also own a 97 steel framed Rockhopper, saved from my brother-in-laws skip a few weeks ago, my philosophy of "old mountainbike should never die" kicked in and saved the bike, it needed quite a bit of work but after raiding my mine and my freinds parts bins got it together.
Really enjoying riding it, do your project justice it will be worth it.

Can some tell me how to reduce the file size of a photo so i can add some pics, probably really easy but i am havig a senior moment, feckin thing keeps saying Max size: 256KB

Ridni that is immense. Exactly the kind of thing i'm looking at doing (appart from the SS and rigid thing :LOL: )
Did you get a respray on that? Looks really tidy.

Haev sourced someone to spray it for £60 in Exeter, have ofund other people here saying they do a good job so all set to go.

Parts will largely be mix of old stuff until my budget dictates better components, but just want to get it out of the shed and onto a hill where it deserves to be enjoyed.

Good frames I reckon, am really excited about.

Back