Fixed Gear on the Road.

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
Don't remember why I bought this. Almost certain suicide on the road. The single brake stops the bike quicker than your knees want to. Custom built (using lugs) to fit my long arms and body/short legs. Mike torched this one himself and his wife did the airbrushing. Can't remember the exact price but was very reasonable. Only really use it on the Roller Turbo these days. Really must tighten that chain and go for a spin!! Can't help but wish I had gone for the rear brake option.

Attachments

• Fixed#2.jpg
    Fixed#2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,288
  • Fixed#3.jpg
    Fixed#3.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,288
  • Fixed#1.jpg
    Fixed#1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,288
good for your form (leg speed and pedal stroke) and for your fitness (every hill is an interval)!

just got this earlier in the summer and have already logged nearly 700 miles (have a gearie as well)...love it!

jamis.jpg

Dookie, that looks like a big gear! The first time you rode a fixed, did you try to raise your inside pedal to go round a corner? Second nature to a cyclist to freewheel round it with the inside pedal raised. OUCH!!

gear is 48 x 17 (~74 inches)...not huge. local terrain is rolling hills, no mountains. cadence is right(ish) from high teens to high 20s in terms of speed. i can spin to about 35mph (160rpm) before my form becomes unmanageable, but anything over 30 is busy! under 15mph is a bit plodding...all torque and not on top of the gear. great calculator here: http://software.bareknucklebrigade.com/rabbit.applet.html

it's quite common to use shorter cranks on road-going fixies to avoid pedal strike (and make for easier spinning), and some frame designs feature a higher BB for the same reason. i run 165s on the bike shown (172.5 on my geared roadie, 180 on my XC SS). haven't had an issue with dragging pedals or the desire to coast through corners. that said, when i started riding fixed i did have a couple nasty jolts from leg lock while instinctively trying to coast over RR tracks or to catch a stretch or such. they have since learned to just go 'round all the time.

i'm planning to do a charity ride in a couple weeks...thousands of riders on 30/75/100 miles routes two days in a row. my plan is 2 x 100 on the bike shown. course is *dead* flat. hope i don't regret it...

you should ride yours...no fear! with clipless pedals and a fixed cog you can generate a surprising amount of braking with your legs. combined with a front caliper, there's plenty of stop. it's strangely addicting...

Back