1995 smokestone ss0064

mrlee

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
its time to start the smokestone ,microfiles and 1000's wet n dry , i filed all the little nudges down whilst checking for cracks every thing going to plan then :shock: seems my smokestones has a layer of something on her. it doesnt look like paint nor any thing like an electro type plating ,could this be the effects of ballburnishing ? any help would greatly be apprecaited,
Lee.
IMAG0213.jpg

IMAG0345.jpg

IMAG0346.jpg

Frame: 1995 18" smokestone

Fork: pace rc35 mxcd 1995

Headset: mavic 1"1/4
Stem: xlite fly
Handlebar: xlite
Grips: lockon
Barends:

Brakes: m900
Brake Pads:cool stop
Brake Cable:
Cantilever cable hangers:
Brake Levers:m900 sti

Shifters:m900 sti
Front Derailleur: m900
Rear Derailleur: m900
Derailleur Cables:suntour xc
Cassette: sram 8speed
Chain: kmc 8s
Cranks:middleburn rs7
Crank Bolts:frm cnc
Chainrings:middleburn slickshift hardcoat 9speed
Bottom Bracket: un72
Pedals:time atac carbon
chainring bolts: bici products blue
Hub Skewers:xlite
Rims:mavic 217 sup
Hubs: hope ti fatso and ti glide
Nipples:brass
Spokes:dt swiss
Tyres:mrlee
Tubes:^

Saddle:flight ti
Seatpost:smokestone original?
Seatpost Binder:smokestone original

Weight:light

Clear coat probably - try a small amount of paint stripper (nitromorse or something similar) on a small out of the way area for a short while and see if it comes off OK.

Nice bike by the way :D

I assumed would be clear coat. My Bigfoot Smokestone doesn't have it though, straight to bare aluminium.

I thought about polishing too, it will look sweet Mr Lee.

If you need a replacement decal the chap who did mine should have that on file. (I think its the same as the "smokestone" on my top tube)

EDIT: Scratch that, the decal looks completely different! :LOL:

^ yeah that was my first thoughts but i leaves the wet n dry papers and excess water and my autosol ragg black, clear coat is usualy light its like its been dipped in alloy ?

looks very similar to what happened when i started cleaning up my nickel plated P7, that was lacquer over the plating, i'd imagine that yours was ballburnished then lacquered and that is what is coming off.

mikee":2oahy1ra said:
it could be chemical brightening
used on a lot of alloy parts
whats this mikee i havent heard of that before, its proving very difficult to work with im considering paint :?

its a sorta chromate conversion coating but not quite
it will polish off ,but best bead blasted loads of stuff is done with this
it looks great till it gets polished off ,usually cable rub or similar
try your local metal finishers they might advise best procedure

cheers for the info lads , yes mikee its rubbed through in the usual places i will look into getting it re done im also tempted to have it painted/powdercoated ive seen a black one in the archives and i think it looks pretty swell imo,
Lee

Just spotted this thread.. :oops: :oops:

That's one hell of a lovely looking e-stay you got there. looks very 'race-orientated' in that top pic... yum. :cool: :cool:

Back