Freehub - repair or replace?

poolio

Onnnne Huuuunnnndrreeed and Eigggghhhhty
Feedback
View
For info - my bike's a 92 orange clockwork with shimano rear hub... (original I think).

Other day I noticed some slight roughness/grind coming from my rear wheel , so I took apart and re-greased the bearings... not sure they needed it as that's when I noticed it was the freehub that's a bit gritty sounding when turning in freewheel, which just won't do...

After a hunt round t'interweb got some mixed feedback on service / repair of freehubs... so what's the advice on here.. repair or replace?

Sounds like I'll need a couple of tools to remove the cassette and then the freehub, and some solvent based cleaner to remove the shgunk from the gubbins of th'hub...

This'll be a first for me (if I do it) so all top-tips greatly received...
Cheers
JP

I'm numb when it comes to repairs but managed to service a knackered freehub no worries. You'll need a big old 'a' key though. I was karmaished a stuffed rear hub with working freehub from here that did the job.

Ditto - I had a knackered LX freehub in a Mavic 517 that I replaced with a NOS unit courtesy of eBay - piece of the proverbial... ;)

Cheers for that chaps, you'll have to 'scuse the ignorance but:

Are freehubs all the same size? And do they all attach to the hub in the same way...?

I've seen the bit of kit that I need to remove the cassette (i.e. the bolt with the grooves that slots into the smallest cog / fixing-ring thingy...)
will I need one of those chain whips to hold the cassette still while I undo it..?!

And then don't I just need a big old spanner to remove the bolt that holds the freehub on?
Brocklanders - what is this "big old 'a' key" you mention? like a massive allen key?...

Anyone out there with a knackered hub with decent freehub in working order they want to part with?... unsure of spec / dimensions required....

JP

poolio":1kyhqsgq said:
Are freehubs all the same size? And do they all attach to the hub in the same way...?

7,8.9 speed all differeent lengths, means dishing wheels if larger fitted - all Shimano have big allen key - need to remove axle so need cone spanners

I've seen the bit of kit that I need to remove the cassette (i.e. the bolt with the grooves that slots into the smallest cog / fixing-ring thingy...)
will I need one of those chain whips to hold the cassette still while I undo it..?! Yes

And then don't I just need a big old spanner to remove the bolt that holds the freehub on?
Brocklanders - what is this "big old 'a' key" you mention? like a massive allen key?... yes
JP

Assuming Shimano, you need a chain whip, big spanner and cassette tool to remove the cassette. Cone spanners to remove the axle and then an 8mm (I think, confirmation needed!) allen key to get the cassette body off.
I don't know what you need then. My work has been limited to soaking the thing in degreaser which tends to wash out contaminants and then resoaking in lubricant. I have a bottle of liquid grease but I believe Land Rover diff/gear oil works quite well.

The wife will be delighted that I've got another bike flavoured project to focus on this weekend (rather than that pesky DIY)...

Cheers for your help all...

Might be one for another post - but is anyone else obsessive about their regular commute times?

New PB average speed to work this morning 30.1km/h!
Stockport to Manchester City Centre - 15.6km in 31.07mins
Smashed my previous best avg of 28.2km/h

I put it down to my newly greased axel bearings and a pair of specialized fatboys (£12 eBay) pumped up to (100psi) - smashing! Gonna shave next week and see if I can nick a bit more off...

JP

Back