1989 Saracen Tufftrax in the (pink) colour, progress update

lee25

Devout Dirtbag
Ok so this is my tufftrax, the frame is in pretty good condition,apart from the few chips and usual amount of scratches.but its missing alot of its original parts,It was bought as just a frame set from Saracen yonks ago by my friend who had fell in love with the vibrant colour scheme and sticker design after another school friend and biking buddy had bought a Tufftrax from the local bike shop.This frame set was then built up with mavic rims and deore parts into quite a nice ride.
years down the line though and this bike ended up in my hands minus all the parts my friend had originally put onto it as these went onto another build.Instead a miss match of parts were stuck onto it just to make it rideable.I then got given it and its has since lived in my parents shed for for many years.
So today i managed to drag the old girl out and have a good poke around.even took it for a quick spin down the road and it runs really smooth considering the parts that are on it.

So im going to give this bike the tlc it deserves and do a re-build,What i want to know though is the original spec that this bike came with.Did it have a 400 lx group set as my mate who bought one new had a 400 lx group set but with sti levers attached to those long shimano plastic brake levers. I dont think i will be able to get a set of black rims for it anymore though unless someone has some lying around but i have noticed theres a set of exage nos plastic cantis on the bay and also a 400/300lx chainset and gears. I may go dx thumbies route though as they have always been so cool in my books!! I did or have got a Saracen brochure somewhere that i got off my freind who bought the Tufftrax new that has this colour frame in it and would like to get a copy or scan of the specs for the bike. I have seen one on here but cant read the scan of the spec table. Has anyone else on the forum got a Tufftrax in this pink colour??
Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:31 am Post subject: Spec sheet
Use this sheet to let other retrobiker's know the full spec of your ride...

Frame: Tange cro mo triple butted main triangle

Fork:

Headset: 400lx
Stem: original saracen
Handlebar: trans x
Grips: grip shift
Barends:

Brakes: dia compe 986
Brake Pads: dia compe
Brake Cables: shimano
Cantilever cable hangers:
Brake Levers: deore dx

Shifters:
Front Derailleur: suntour xcd
Rear Derailleur: shimano deore lx
Derailleur Cables: shimano
Cassette:
Chain:
Cranks: shimano 400lx
Crank Bolts:
Chainrings:
Chainring bolts:
Bottom Bracket:
Pedals:

Hub Skewers:
Rims: alesa
Hubs: suntour xcd/sachs
Nipples:
Spokes:
Tyres:
Tubes:

Saddle: original seen better days Saracen
Seatpost:
Seatpost Binder:

Weight:

Sorry for the waffle and amount of pics but i know theres afew old skool Saracen lovers on here ;-p

SNB11715.jpg

SNB11714.jpg

SNB11697.jpg

SNB11699.jpg

SNB11700.jpg

Homage to the legendary Mint Sauce.Original Saracen sticker is underneath
SNB11701.jpg

SNB11698.jpg

SNB11706.jpg

SNB11707.jpg

SNB11710.jpg

SNB11702.jpg

SNB11703.jpg

SNB11705.jpg

Suntour XCD front hub
SNB11708.jpg

Alesa rims
SNB11709.jpg

Some random ass Sachs rear hub!!!!
SNB11711.jpg

I'm thinking that if returning to catalogue spec involves taking off Deore II levers and DC986s and putting on Exage plastics, you might want to consider a "period correct" upgraded build instead ;)

Whack some DX thumbies on and find a tidier saddle, job's a good'un :)

The cheapest and best upgrade would be the thumbshifters, as you have said.

everything else is functional at least. Does that seatpost move? It looks very corroded.

lots of wheels come up in the FS section that would suit.

If they are steel rings, these can be replaced for lighter alu too.

Hiya, Tbh it does actually ride well, just need a strip down and clean up,with all new cables and yeah get rid of those grip shifts!!! Ive always loved thumbies :)

I think i may change the front and rear gears as there is alot of play in them and the chainset is a mix match of bits too.......Hmmmmm what to do!!!! and yeah seatpost is free as a bird!!! just got manky grease mixed with rust on it but undo the lever and it drops down on its own.

I've seen a mint condition one of these locally. The original spec seems to have been largely 400lx (mechs, combined gear and brake levers, unsure of chainset...but the one you have one on there could be original). Brakes were exage trail cantis. Rims would have been the black weinmann box-section rims, and hubs probably also 400lx. The previous years model (1988 ) was painted blue had exage trail cantis and brake levers, deore thumbies and mountain lx rear mech.

I think yours is a 90 so 400LX sounds about right. Could also be an 89 and that would mean Mountain LX and Deore thumbies. ;)

All 400LX bits can be found in good nick for next to nothing so it could be worth asking in the wanted section. I'd keep those levers if you're going for thumbies :D

A lovely old machine. I like the little touches like the colour coordinated reflector brackets. See the front one without the reflector? Do you remember how we kept that bit on the bike "just in case the front brake cable snapped" and the straddle wire locks the front wheel?

Does anyone know anyone that actually happened to?

Iwasgoodonce":1hdjpy7m said:
Does anyone know anyone that actually happened to?

Yep. I saw it happen.
It was on a dog rough and very cheap Raliegh cast iron bike in the late 80s.

Love the bright pink Tufftrax!

Very nice, and MINT on the head tube!!
+1 for keeping the brake levers: them with thumbies was a classic setup. I'd go with what mike suggested: a period correct upgraded build. just my opinion though, YMMMV :)

Latest posts

Back