Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:11 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:51 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:14 am
Posts: 1321
Location: Sunny? Devon
raymondluxuryyacht wrote:
About as rare as hand-built uk bikes can come. Searching for a car metaphor....vintage ferarri...except obviously they aren't uk. Vintage triumph maybe ??? Mk 1 Triumph Stag ?? or Triumph GT6 mk3 ?



No No No, it should be compared to a Morgan, hand built by craftsmen, not British Leyland. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:27 am 
National & North West AEC
National & North West AEC
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:43 am
Posts: 8146
Location: Macclesfield Forest
Beautiful and rare bike. Good work finding it.

Some close up photos of the frame and component details would be great.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:30 am 
Ain't no party like an S Club party
Ain't no party like an S Club party
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 4:54 pm
Posts: 7136
Location: UK
Welcome to the Zinn Ownership Club.


They are beautiful aren't they...


Think that makes 4 on here now. 2 blues (RBK & me), 2 reds (RBK & you).


But I may have missed some more somewhere along the line.

The red one owned by RBK is the 753 version BTW.

BB


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:05 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:16 pm
Posts: 4344
I really like the contours of this frame. In fact I'd expect most Kona admirers would give this the thumbs up; sloping top tube, etc.

A proper nice find and some good education for those of us not familiar with the history of Zinn.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:34 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:40 pm
Posts: 3461
Location: The Royal Society of Insobriety
BoyBurning wrote:
Think that makes 4 on here now. 2 blues (RBK & me), 2 reds (RBK & you).


But I may have missed some more somewhere along the line.


Gio owns a blue one and there is at least one other red one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:55 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:34 pm
Posts: 26181
Location: Moomin Valley
al-onestare wrote:
I really like the contours of this frame. In fact I'd expect most Kona admirers would give this the thumbs up; sloping top tube, etc.

A proper nice find and some good education for those of us not familiar with the history of Zinn.


Sorry for the bluntness, but who cares what 'Kona owners' think!

These are extremely high quality frames, it would my Pioneer look like a Townsend.

If these were road bikes, it would be up there with the finest Hetchins or Colnago. Theres no Kona that would come close to the build quality. They are more works of art than humble mountain bike.

*edit: have a pic of a blue one to tide you over. Just check out how neat and tidy everything is. No blobby welds or excess material.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... light=zinn

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:53 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:16 pm
Posts: 4344
legrandefromage wrote:
al-onestare wrote:
I really like the contours of this frame. In fact I'd expect most Kona admirers would give this the thumbs up; sloping top tube, etc.

A proper nice find and some good education for those of us not familiar with the history of Zinn.


Sorry for the bluntness, but who cares what 'Kona owners' think!.


Nothing like a bit of bike snobbery eh? Jesus :roll:

Not all of us are blessed with oodles of cash and time to spend on super-rare machines.

I was merely pointing out some similarities in style, not in construction or quality.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:15 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:34 pm
Posts: 26181
Location: Moomin Valley
al-onestare wrote:
legrandefromage wrote:
al-onestare wrote:
I really like the contours of this frame. In fact I'd expect most Kona admirers would give this the thumbs up; sloping top tube, etc.

A proper nice find and some good education for those of us not familiar with the history of Zinn.


Sorry for the bluntness, but who cares what 'Kona owners' think!

These are extremely high quality frames, it would my Pioneer look like a Townsend.

If these were road bikes, it would be up there with the finest Hetchins or Colnago. Theres no Kona that would come close to the build quality. They are more works of art than humble mountain bike.

.


Nothing like a bit of bike snobbery eh? Jesus :roll:

Not all of us are blessed with oodles of cash and time to spend on super-rare machines.

I was merely pointing out some similarities in style, not in construction or quality.


<sighs>

I'm disapointed that you've taken my comments that way, again for about the 50th time, there is no bike snobbery or any reference to how much cash people have to buy bikes with. I even did a thread where I showed how easy it was to buy your way in to left-field brands for less than a Tesco bike.

I dont want to get into an argument (again) but....

Comparing this to 'Kona' is a little rude towards the frame builder, sloping top tubes have been around much longer than the Kona brand name. And, to be honest its like comparing a Ford Focus with say, a Morgan Aero 8...

I cant afford either, as it happens!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: its not about the money
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:09 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:15 am
Posts: 3348
Location: Up north
It was my love of bikes old & new that swayed the seller of the Zinn to let me take it off his hands..

I wont be letting this go.. :wink:

Oh and i also recieved a new pair of ATI attack grips for the Zinn today. :D

I want to do a few jobs on it then ill spend some time taking decent pictures.

I have some different bottle cages too but they are modern but reckon they will suit it without damaging the age/looks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:19 am 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:16 pm
Posts: 4344
legrandefromage wrote:
al-onestare wrote:
legrandefromage wrote:
al-onestare wrote:
I really like the contours of this frame. In fact I'd expect most Kona admirers would give this the thumbs up; sloping top tube, etc.

A proper nice find and some good education for those of us not familiar with the history of Zinn.


Sorry for the bluntness, but who cares what 'Kona owners' think!

These are extremely high quality frames, it would my Pioneer look like a Townsend.

If these were road bikes, it would be up there with the finest Hetchins or Colnago. Theres no Kona that would come close to the build quality. They are more works of art than humble mountain bike.

.


Nothing like a bit of bike snobbery eh? Jesus :roll:

Not all of us are blessed with oodles of cash and time to spend on super-rare machines.

I was merely pointing out some similarities in style, not in construction or quality.


<sighs>

I'm disapointed that you've taken my comments that way, again for about the 50th time, there is no bike snobbery or any reference to how much cash people have to buy bikes with. I even did a thread where I showed how easy it was to buy your way in to left-field brands for less than a Tesco bike.

I dont want to get into an argument (again) but....

Comparing this to 'Kona' is a little rude towards the frame builder, sloping top tubes have been around much longer than the Kona brand name. And, to be honest its like comparing a Ford Focus with say, a Morgan Aero 8...

I cant afford either, as it happens!


Re-read your initial comment:

Quote:
but who cares what 'Kona owners' think!


It reads, "I couldn't give a shiny shit what a large population of this site think about this lovely bike". That in a nut-shell reads like bike snobbery.

If this is the 50th time you've had explain that's not what you meant then perhaps you might want to think before you type. Just a suggestion.

It is a cracking bike so let's not let this ^^^ get in the way of that.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group