Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ratcapa

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
Funk Fan
Feedback
View
Ok so i bought this bike some time ago and to cut a long story short... I only went to see a man about some Ti Ringle skewers! Ended up buying this beautiful machine but not taking it home because I'd recently taken redundancy at work with nothing on the horizon. Silly me really but i had to have it and off went to live with a friend until it was time to tell her indoors I'd gone and bought another bike! I had my first chance to ride yesterday and WOW what a sweet handling supremely fast well thought out and put together bike. :D I believe I'm only the 4th owner in nearly 20 years and that at least 2 prev are members here so thanks for keeping it so bloody nice guys.

Took a couple of pics but unfortunately they're not great qualityand really don't do the colour of the frame justice.

DSC00321.jpg

DSC00324.jpg

DSC00322.jpg

DSC00323.jpg

Frame: Kona Hot (Tom Teesdale) 1991

Fork: Project 2

Headset: XTR M900
Stem: Controltech NOS
Handlebar: Controltech NOS
Grips: Porc rinds

Brakes: Controltech NOS
Brake Pads: Kool stops NOS
Brake Cables: XTR
Cantilever cable hangers: Controltech NOS
Brake Levers: Real

Shifters: XT Thumbies
Front Derailleur: XTR M900
Rear Derailleur: XTR M900 (Controltech J'Wheels NOS)
Derailleur Cables: XTR
Cassette: XTR M900
Chain: KMC X9 SL
Cranks: Cooks Bros
Crank Bolts: SRP
Chainrings: Tioga
Chainring bolts: SRP
Bottom Bracket: TA Axix Ti
Pedals: Onza Ho Ti

Hub Skewers: Ringle Ti

Rims: Mavic
Hubs: Nuke Proof

Nipples: Lots!
Spokes: Many!
Tyres: Ritchey Megabye WCS
Tubes: Maxxis Flyweight

Saddle: Flite Ti
Seatpost: Controltech
Seatpost Binder: Ringle Ti
Bottle Cage: Ringle H2o

Weight: 21.41lb

Felt so bad getting those blobs of mud on it but couldn't resist a bit of singletrack near to where i live. Hope you like and although it's still exactlay as i bought it I do have a very nice addition in the garage waiting to go on........

love it. thin, lean, skinny, tall, dumped, light bright and tech. it is a good example of everything good about mtb in the early 1990's!

That's one of the best looking Konas I have seen :D

How much does she weigh? 23 ish? That dura-ace rear mech is sweet too, how many teeth are there on the largest sprocket on the cassette?

great bike! it looks like a very fast bike, nice to hear that it rides that way too :LOL:

...that is sexy, i love the spec too.....!!! i know what you mean about taking pics, with certain colours, i cant seem to get it right....!!!!! very cool bike :cool:

A bit of history on my part...

I was the second owner, I bought this back in 2007 (ish) from the chap who bought it new. Hots were special order only, I believe it was imported and sold via Stif cycles as there was still an original sticker on it when I received it. The bike was raced until '95 then mothballed until it was mine....

It was pretty tatty - I ended up spending a small fortune sending it off to Argos cycles and having the paint matched exactly. H Lloyd did the decals for me (I didn't know about the skills of gil then!). I was running motolites so had the extra cable guide added on the top tube as well ;)

I can confirm that the ride is great, the prestige concept frame makes the bike seem to float! Weight when I had it was around 22 pounds if I recall with a similar build as here.

Enjoy it anyways, I've probably some pictures of the frame as I received it pre resto if it helps :)

Back