Mongoose Pro Sx

IbocProSX

Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Hi there,

I've been lurking on this forum for a bit enjoying the nice bikes on display so here's my trusty Mongoose Pro SX. It's a 1992 (I think) Pro Sx, suspension corrected geometry, carbon fibre main triangle bonded to aluminium lugs and an Aluminium rear end wrought from a single tube Yeti style. The bike was my main ride 1992-1996 and has been my spare since . It still sees the trail occasionally as well as serving as a rather cool shopping bike. A lot of parts from around 97-98 seem to have found their way to the Mongoose.

And here it is:

IBOCproSX_1.JPG

pbpic1453702.jpg

Specs:
Frame: 1992 Mongoose iboc Pro Sx carbon
Forks: 1997 Pace RC-36 Pro Class
Stem: Race Face Deus (the older CNC'd version)
Handlebar: SCOTT Lite-Flite gun metal grey
Q/R clamp: Heylight
Saddle: Fizik Nisene titanium
Wheels: 1997 Ritchey WCS hubs, DT revolutionss, Sun CR-18's
Tires: Schwalbe King Jim 2,35's
Gears: XT 8-speed STI
Drive: XT 8-speed
Pedals: SPD 545's
Brakes: XT V-brakes
Extra's: Zero Titanium Q/R Skewers,
Middleburn bullet valve caps
Ringle H2O (There can be only One)

Weight complete as pictured 11,5 kg, (some 25,5 lbs)

mongoose iboc comp

I had the comp version of this frame.
It was a 7005 series all aluminum frame that looked exactly the same as yours but in dark blue.
Does yours have the pretty diamond shape on the sides of the rear wishbone at the top of the seat stays?
I seem to remember that a later version version of your frame had twin carbon downtubes....
I wish I had kept hold of the frame I had but like a muppet sold it when I got a replacement from mongoose....
The downtube on mine had a weird dowtube set of bottle bosses underneath by the bottom bracket....I happened to mention to the rep oneday in my local shop that the water getting into them had seized them tight and he took my details....out of the blue a new frame turned up for me :eek:
here she is now. [url=http://www.retrobike.co.uk/fo...w.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12084

I will post some pics of my comp frame when ive scanned them in.
[/url]

gorgeous bike,very nice.i always wanted the sky blue one with the m900 xtr back in the day.very,very nice bike.

Thanks for the welcome, and yes mine has the diamond shaped wishbone detail also. I bought the frame after a test ride on the shop owners bike. It was his race bike fitted with a 1st generation Girvin Vector linkage fork (of Pro-flex fame), very nice but I could not afford it at the time, I went rigid.

Only problem I have had with it is the poor paint job on the aluminium rear end, looks like poor surface prep to me. The bonded Carbon to Aluminium construction is still holdiong up though after 15 years. And those joints are very critical on surface prep for adhesion and to prevent galvanic corrosion.

There's recent pictures of a late (95) blue aluminium pro sx here:
http://www.mountainbike.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38535
Is that your colour Deore? the owner lists it as mirror blue though.

Enjoy

Hello Bikers,

@Speedplay,I have a picture of this Mongoose bike with the twin carbon down tubes.This bike model is from builtyear 1996.

Mongoose Iboc Team SX.

Frame: Carbon Fiber.

Mongoose Advanced Carbon Technology (MACT) twin down tube frame with replaceable derailleur hanger.

Rock Shox Judy SL MCU elastomer/cartridge hydraulically damped/60mm travel suspension fork.

Shimano Deore XT group featuring Rapid Fire SL shifters.

New PDM-535 SPD clipless pedals.

Shimano Deore XT "V" brakes with adjustable modulation levers.

Colour frame: Mirror Black.

Cheers,

Mongooseboy

thats the baby!!

She was lovely :D

The paint was really poor on the mongoose alloy frames :cry:

mine looked like it had been machine gunned after one season of racing on it.

nice bike! a friend of mine used to have 1 - the paint flaked on that on the back end really bad! those chunky 1 piece ali chain / seat stays make for 1 stiff rear end!!

Just scanned a pic of my old iboc comp.

The qualitys not great and neither was the build!! but I was only 16!!

Attachments

• iboc.JPG
    iboc.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 6,965
Back